1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So my wife thinks I'm nuts . . .

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by catmandu, Nov 11, 2010.

1. catmandu

catmandu Junior Member

Because I brought this home today to plow the driveway:

plow.jpg

Am I so wrong? :D

Well, okay. Full disclosure:

1984 International s1700, reportedly an ex-New York Thruway truck that came to Maryland and worked for a builder for a while. Then bought a year ago by a guy who never used the plow but hauled the dirt from a pond he dug out back to his front yard, along with some stone and such for the driveway. Put less than 1,000 miles on it in the last year, according to Carfax.

So I was cruising Craigslist last weekend, saw an ad, went and looked at it, and decided what the hell. Only about $1000 at risk given the scrap value of all that metal. So now I own a 'Historic Vehicle' of a different color (which allows me to bypass all the inspection crap here in MD). The plan is to use the dump bed around my 5 acre property spreading some fill dirt, plow my 300 ft. of drive this winter, and also plow two acres up at our church, since we were always walking that fine line with what we could afford versus what we should do last winter (and I was the guy in charge of talking to the plow guy, so it was no fun). I have about 8 hours of plowing experience from last year with my Uncle's GMC hd2500 and an 8 ft blade, so I think there is some sticky reading and thread searching in my future.

Anyway, glad to find a good support forum here on the lnterwebs, since that is how I have successfully kept all my other vehicles affordable, and running. The truck made the 60 mile drive home today, which is good, although at times I could only make 35 mph, which is not so good (and the 11 foot blade scared the bejeezus out of more than one person on a couple of backroads!). Luckily, my Uncle has a Hot Rod shop, and used to own a smaller International with the same engine, so we are making a list of things to do to get ready for the winter. As for the plow, it moves properly in all directions, but has a check valve issue, and some sort of alignment issue where it gets jammed full right, which I will probably post on later for guidance. But first, I tried to read the info on the bottom back of the thing, but too much rust and repaint for my old eyes. Can someone ID this plow by sight, so I can Google for some information in my repair efforts?:

plow2.jpg

Thanks in advance!

plow.jpg

plow2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Seriously?

3. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

That plow might be a Flink, I tink. Maybe a Henderson. Thats quite the driveway ornament. I'm going to show this to my wife the next time some new piece of iron shows up here. But all kidding aside good luck with it and have fun.

4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

sandblast, paint & powdercoat! :)

5. catmandu

catmandu Junior Member

Oh very serious, Pinky! All in, as the kids say.

And I have a POS blaster and can paint, but the oven we pulled out of the kitchen that we use for powdercoating is just a tad small for this application. :)

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You're ambitious, I'll give you that.

7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

scrap the plow and put a Boss on it :nod::nod::nod::) or a wideout

nod.gif

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  8. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Looks impressive. But I wouldn't be comfortable using that on a nice driveway given the weight of that blade.

9. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i think i found some one like me, that would be something i would by to plow my driveway if i had the money!

10. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Make sure you keep the bed loaded when the snow hits or you wont get much plowing done

11. catmandu

catmandu Junior Member

My driveway is not so nice right now, main concern will be how deep to plow to mimimize rocks in the grass in the springtime (although with a newfound dump bed, I am starting to find out who has millings I can turn into a hard surface). The church asphalt needs a sealcoat, I figure I'll beat it up some this winter first.

Definitely plan on loading the dump bed. Might even try to scrounge a set of chains just in case this winter is like last (that were the two things I noticed our plow guy did not clue in on too quickly last year).

12. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i just find it funny that there is a carfax for it... Good luck!

13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think you're NUTS too!! Good luck.:D

14. rocklizrd

rocklizrd Junior Member
    from US of A

Cat, did you find that in De? Where on the shore are you?

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How big is your driveway?

16. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I wouldn't call you crazy, but you have some work to do with it. When I bought my dump, people thought I was crazy too, and I'll admit, it looked rough. But over time it has become a reliable snow pusher.
    As for the plow binding, check the frame for bends and binds. Municipal plows are very, very heavy and require a lot of grease at the pivot points, especially the main A frame pin. Usually, they have taken a lot of abuse. Also, make sure your hoses are routed so that they will not get pinched when you angle the plow. (been there done that) The left return spring bracket/arm appears to be at a different angle than the right one. Possibly bent or different size return spring. If the plow is at center and you angle left (the non binding way) and are able to return to center without binding, most likely your control valve on the truck is fine. First rule out mechanical binding, grease it up then check the angle cylinders, including the mounts.

As for the make and model, not sure, but in my limited experience with muni plows, the original manufacturer may be able to supply a replacement cutting edge, but your on your own for the other stuff. Its all been discontinued. I would recommend lots of weight and chains. Don't push snow downhill into a pile. When you lift that plow, its 2k pounds of dead weight on the front, reducing weight on the rear axle.
    And finally, be careful with that thing.
    Have fun.

17. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

Maybe you could put some caster wheels on it to prevent it from causing damage to the asphalt or scraping up gravel.

18. catmandu

catmandu Junior Member

Nope, it was already titled in MD as a private 'historic vehicle' which is why I took the plunge. No problems for me getting a title transfer at the Easton MVA, unlike the last owner who did the initial title (whole lot of head scratchin' and puzzlement over whether a dump truck could in fact be historic, but he got them to do it).

Right at 12 ft. from raised edge to raised edge (sits up away from the lawn for drainage). Flat, and straight until the bend towards the garage / parking area.

Thanks for the insight, PoHouse, I figure there will be some time spent manufacturing items in the metal shop, and definitely some quality Mig welding time in my future. And that is 'fun' to a degree in my world. :cool:

19. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

You're gonna plow a gravel driveway with that? If so, I'd backdrag it. The truck looks to be in pretty good shape.

20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How long is it? If it's not very long that truck is going to be over kill.