1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So my plow froze up.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by phishoook, Jan 6, 2004.

1. phishoook

phishoook Member

I'm pretty sure the fluid just gelled up on me. It's down to about zero, and I topped the fluid off with straight ATF.

So it's in the shop till morning. Should I drain and start from scratch? Is there something I could have done tonight?

2. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

sounds like you got water in the lines......low fluid creates airspace which creates condensation...hence...water!
    -Doc-

3. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus Junior Member
    from ohio

ATF is too thick for Meyer pumps.(profile states you run E47) Flush entire system including rams. Refill using Meyer compatible fliud.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

ADD rubbing alcohol

5. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I thought rubbing alchol will cause rubber to turn brittle and crack. Seems like the alchol would thin the oil, but it might cause your seals and o-rings to start leaking. I don't know for sure, one way or the other.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Just a little it drys up the water my unit has 99.9% hyraulic fluid

7. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

A few drops shouldn't hurt! Look for any pits in your cylinders I have found a lot of people with run their blades with pitted cylinders especially the lower angle cylinders They may work fine and not leak any fluid, But those tiny little pits when they are out fill with H2O and when you pull them back in that water swaps into your hydraulic System! That boys and girls is where water in your system comes from!
    I have only found that to be the problem on about 100 trucks in the past 2 years! Phishhook I would change all the fluid and check for pits! 2 quarts of blue blood is way better than a night of missed work or worse contracts lost because you didn't keep the bosses happy!

8. phishoook

phishoook Member

Thanks. System has been flushed and filled.

There is a nice pit in the lift cylinder. I never thought of water getting in that way.

9. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

water in plow fluid

The fluid is "hygroscopic", when you raise the plow you have air enter the pump via the vent. This air contains moisture. Being the fluid has the ability to absorb moisture after a while of using it you have it contaminated with water. Use what Meyers recomends. Remember the rams also contain fluid. When you change your fluid (at begining of plow seasion - good maintenance.

See your Meyers maintenance manual.... do what they say.. your stuff works.