1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So..... my driver(S) quit today...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jan 29, 2010.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

December 9th, we had our first storm of the year, one of my guys rolled one of my '06 Dodge 2500's on it's side going down the freeway in 2wd.

I had to get subs to fill in while that truck was in the body shop, and one of the subs worked great, so I hired him as a driver. He is a brother to my other employee.

My employee that rolled my truck ended up quitting right around Christmas. Not so much as quitting, but we agreed to part ways. He wasn't comfortable plowing anymore, and I felt he was fairly slow anyways.

We've had 4 plowings since then, and everything has been real good.

Today I get a phone call, and the two of them have found new jobs.

I understand, it's hard to live on 5-7 hours every 2-3 weeks, even if I do pay $25 / hour just to drive.

Last year, I paid them all winter to split firewood, but this last fall, the bottom fell out of the firewood pricing, and I only sold 1/2 of the wood that we had split, about 350 pickup loads.

I didn't have the cash flow this year because of the bottom falling out of the firewood, so I had ot lay the guys off. They were getting about $150 / week in unemployment.

One has gone to work for the local city as public works, the other got a temp job until March.

Now I have to either find drivers for the two other trucks I have, another '06 Dodge 2500 and 2007 3500, or else get a list of subs together, which will suck for parking these 2 trucks.

I can't really bail on the accounts mid season, although 1 motel I have is closing as of today, (1-29-10), and I have 3 other accounts that haven't paid since November.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if they drive your truck theyre an employee.... and damn u got a $&)! storm of problems:dizzy:

3. HomeBuilder

HomeBuilder Junior Member

Don't bail on your accounts-they never come back, and you work hard to get them! If I can be of some help, get a hold of me- you should recognize my plow.:cool:

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry for the misfortunes, but I got to ask, is there a question in there somewhere?

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

OOH, OOH, i know the answer, which should you do, hire new employees, hire subs, or let accounts go

-there are lots of potential employees out there, and i would have to imagine working for a couple hundred dollars a week is better then not at all

-lots of subs out there too, and many of them well work for cheap, and then you don't have wear and tear on your equipment

-don't let the accounts go, that kind of thing gets around, and you may find acquiring new accounts well be more difficult if you bail on these ones

good luck:drinkup:

6. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

I have two Drivers quit on me last Month too, for not having enough work, but trust me; finding a new driver is a lot easier than getting a new account.

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

pm sent.............

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Very true. Tons of good people out of work. I was in a pinch myself for drivers and as a last ditch effort I posted an ad on craigs list. After weeding out the seedlings I found some highly qualified drivers. You should give that a try.

9. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Same story here. Two of us are running a list meant for 6 guys
    We have used Kiiji with good results for finding new drivers this year

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What your not asking for "Ok smart guys" to answer this post.:rolleyes: On a serious note, we always look for guys that have full time flexible jobs. It's impossible to keep guys around when they only make money from plowing. Ask all of your friends and family first and then go to Craigs and Kijiji. Have the new employee come out and try him on a dry run before you hire him. Good Luck

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Like Dave said you need guys that have flexible jobs. Try school bus drivers. They usually work an hour or two in the am and pm. And if it's real bad schools are closed. Usually good, clean drivers in school buses.

12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

this!!!!
    guys who work for themselves (carpenters, plumbers, roofers are perfect, cuz if it's snowing they probably aren't working, stuff like this where they can "take a day off" and do snow removal)

plus, they already know how to work hard and do a good job.
    they cost more per hour, but they are worth it.

and they always show up, because it's like guaranteed money.

13. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

Farmers are the best I think. They already have enough money to get through the winter being in the farming industry if they cash crop. They have ample experience with large equipment and most likely an A license too. Plus, I find they tend to be pretty honest people and are used to working independently.

Do you live in a rural area?

I second the suggestion about finding people who already have a business of their own, or have their own source of income to get through the dry spells. How about a classified ad in the paper?

Retired people are also an option. I think that as long as you don't have shoveling, that could work.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have to agree about the Farmers.:D

15. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

I like the farmer idea

Our supervisor is a Mennonite from Saskatchewan, ( can you get any more 'farmer' than that?). Call sign 'the Red-neck'. He loads the salt into the storage building with a Kubota and a snowblower. He's hung around for 6 years and holds the 27 hour record for plowing around this place

16. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Farmers are lazy.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You must have been talking to my exwife. :laughing:

18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Her mouth was full most of the time so she didnt do too much talking...

19. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Can you really blame them... I wouldnt be sticking around either... You have to offer them some guaranteed income, weather they work or not.... You have to have some yearly contracts? My guy only put in 10 hours this week but I paid him well over double that....

I assume by your display name you do landscaping / maintenance... Sounds to me you just lost 2 good labours for that to...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You really did meet her then. LOL