1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So i've decided.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hav0k, Nov 12, 2011.

1. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

I'm strongly thinking of getting a 2009 F-150 Reg cab with long box. Think is, it's not 4x4. And seeing as I'm going to be doing houses.. Well Is it worth it?

Oh and mind you, I'll be investing in a 7" Ploy Boss plow. Hence why it's in this thread.

Is there any cons for ploy boss plows? I know ive heard bad things for fisher and western, hence why I'm trying to stay away from those.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Not Worth it. Go a couple years older and get a 4x4. The type of plow doesn;t matter, if you cant get it moving, or get site to site.
  3. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

yea i dont know why they even make 4 x 2 s
  4. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

Hmm, I thought so. Sad thing is, I'm really set on this truck. It's a very good price that I can afford, I don't plan on doing plowing this winter, just shoveling and salting, company I'm with now doesn't have a vehicle for me. And I'd probably use this in the spring to start my own company.
  5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Keep looking. You will regret it. Just forget about the truck and forget about the price. If that truck was 5 grand it is still useless in the snow. If you need if for the snow....keep looking.
  6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

"in your price range"==== Add years and you subtract price. What do they want for the truck?
  7. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

It's 15 thousand CAD with 57800km
  8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Does that mean your replacing it in the spring anyway? I'm confused.
  9. tjdozerman

tjdozerman Member

I Have to agree with everyone else. Be patient and keep looking.
  10. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

No. I'll be using it to pull my trailer with the lawn equipment. The snow plowing is really just a job for the winter kind of thing, But I honestly don't really want to have to buy two trucks. But I also don't want to finance a 40 thousand dollar truck.
  11. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

You dont need to spend 40k to get 4wd and you will regret it when you want to get a plow and you cant because its 2wd. Maybe instead of the 09 you need to get an 05 or 06 or something with more miles. Trust me when I tell you if you buy a 2wd you will remember this thread in the future and say "I wish I had listened"

You can get a great deal on anything but it doesn't matter much if it doesn't do what you need it to do. Landscaping is great but in order to survive in the business up north you have to do snow........i'm sure there are a few that don't but it will make your life very difficult. You will have trouble even getting around to snowblow in a blizzard in 2wd. I guarantee you would get stuck a lot.
  12. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

Yeah, what he said. There's plenty of decent used 4x4's out there that don't have a million miles on them and will keep you happy for quite a while. Especially if you're just trying to get started in plowing, you don't want to be calling people saying you can't get to their house because you have a 2 wheeler that you can't even get out to the main road.
  13. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

Well see, thing is. I have to go through a dealer. I don't have the money for a owner that has a 4x4. I have to fiance it. Hence why I don't want the truck to be at such a high price
  14. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

How old are you, you sound like a teenager trying to justify a purchase that is not the best solution for the business.

If you want it, buy it. Nobody here can make you do anything, all we can do it let you know that you will FAIL if you purchase that truck and intend to use it for snow plowing.

Have a great day!
  15. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Doesn't matter, you will regret buying a 2x when it snows.

Plenty of good trucks around.

I just got a 2000 F250 diesel ext cab, long bed, 4x4 with 96k miles on it for $11,400.
    Killer deal and its making me money with no payment.

Keep using what you are getting by with now and save your money for a 4x4.

If you are still stubborn enough to buy a 2x make sure to also buy about 500 lbs of sand for ballast and 4 sets of tire chains. That might be enough to make you thru the winter.
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You will immediately regret trying to plow driveways in a 2wd half ton. As mentioned, but a 4wd or don't plow.

Probably because many people don't need 4wd? :confused:

In case you don't know, adding 4wd increases purchase price, maintenance costs, fuel usage, and insurance. That's a bunch of money to throw away if you don't need 4wd.
  17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Well said all the way around.
  18. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Well since you really want to purchase this good deal, I would say go ahead and buy it. And since it's a bargain, you will have leftover money to buy some good shovels, a few long chains and lots of beer to give to your buddy's when you have to call them at all hours of the night to come pull you out because you're GONNA BE STUCK.
  19. hav0k

hav0k Junior Member

21. Why do you think I registered here in the first place? To have fun? No, I want opinion on the subject, I'm getting it, and listening to it. Everyone here is right, I know that, and I assumed I would get that from everyone here. I'll do my best to find a 4x4 for the right price. I found a few good ones so far.
  20. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Are they paying your gas?

A 4x2 truck that you will need to be out with in the worst part of the storms is never a great idea, weight will help. It would be a great truck for carrying a snow blower and shovels in the summer.

Go a little older, a 4x4 (which should also have better tires than all seasons). Find a 250/2500 that will take a plow and keep plowing year after year.

Make the truck purchase an investment, not a liability.

And yes, even in Ontario you should be able to find the right truck at a dealer for the right price, but at this time of year they are few and far between.