1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So it finnally happened.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by njsnowremoval, Jan 28, 2011.

1. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

Ok im not new to this. ive been doing this for awile now. So it finally happened today. I was out working picked up 2 new cliants (i use a snow blower and walk for now and they werent done so i asked if they needed service) any way i ws pumped up and having a good day. Anyway went to my last cliant an 83year old lady ive been serviceing for about 5 years. Here house is a pita to do because the driveway is very long but not wide so its almost impossible to do after here car with a snow blower. THere was some ice on her steps from her daughter salting it the other day when she stoped by. SHe thinks its my fault and bla bla bla, so after about 20 mins of bashing my work, (not one person has ever complained before this) I finnally told her this would be the last time id be serviceing her property for her and i apologise for any inconveinence. She knows she will never find someone to do what i do for her, I salt for her, I shovel off her deck and i even clean off her car for her. oh and she tells me today that the improperly installed paver driveway her grandson did for her cost her $9000 and at the most it would be a 3k job. Has this ever happened to you guys? thanks

Edit: sorry for the long post i really needed to vent a little.
  2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I would let here know what you do and what you would charge but don't inflate it for the work you do.
    Put it in a letter and send it to her. Tell her you will give her a 2nd chance because you understand sometimes things get out of hand. Explain in writing the aspects of clearing, be specific and proof read it act somewhat appologetic but make her understand that its not your fault just the nature of the business. Be unemotional after all its just business. If she calls you back she will have realized she was wrong if not use your abilities to benefit someone who appreciates it.
  3. Krumm

Krumm Member
    from CR, IA

im still stuck at the part where you think you can get a paver driveway installed for $3k!!
  4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I guess it depends how large a driveway we are talking.
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Sometimes you just can't make people happy, sounds like you did the right thing turning this contract loose, I had a similar issue with a client this year.
  6. njsnowremoval

Maby i exaderated a little but she defietly got ripped off. her driveway is not even close to a 9k job:eek: and to think it was her own family thar did it make me wonder if they think shes a pita to.:laughing:
  7. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Things happen, personally this is why I hate resi's for snow. I only do a few of my very high end landscape account homes. The keyword there is this is an 83yr old lady. My experience the older ones are always unsatisfied and they want a $100 job for 20 bux... My suggestion is, are you making good money on this driveway? Is it worth it to keep it? If so just contact her and take the blame. In business everyone is expecting you to point your finger at someone else and when you do it just makes them feel that you are just covering up. Speak smart about it, say temps warmed up and things froze, things were very hectic and you would be happy to correct the problem. Eat a little bit of pride and take fault then discount the last service, or throw in some free salt etc... If its a PITA and you make nothing then just explain you cant service here anymore and move on
  8. njsnowremoval

THanks i agree, its actually the second time this year she called me back, Her neibor decided to do it for her and made a mess out of all of it during the first storm so she called me to clean it up. i was :laughing:

Yea i called her this morning and told her im not serviceing her anymore. I really dont need her as a cliant anymore so its time to part ways
  9. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

man, i give those people away. theres a local guy that clears snow with a bobcat. EVERY TIME someone complains about something stupid, i call the guy, give him the addy, and tell him i cant do the drive anymore due to time constraints. then i call the customer and tell them the same, im sorry but dont have the time to do your drive anymore, you will be getting a call from so-and-so and he does good work..

i dont have time to mess with idiots.
  10. njsnowremoval

I do have some good older people i picked up during yesturdays storm. They asked for a price i gave it to them and they agreed it was fair. One of them even had his wife give me a peice of fresh bake crumb cake Thumbs Up it was awsome:nod:
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

just be glad you dont work for her anymore
  12. KissMyWake

KissMyWake Junior Member
    from indiana

How do you do a driveway for 9K$???
  13. njsnowremoval

BTW it was also done like 8 years ago.
  14. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

Hey buddy if you cant service a 83 year old lady that not our problem you better ask Dr. Ruth for help. :laughing:
  15. njsnowremoval

HAHA wow, Hey whats the i plow for pizza deal
  16. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Its client!!!!!
    !!! Not cliant
  17. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

18. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like age might be the problem, be patient with her and make sure you are both on the same page
  19. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Walk away, don't turn around, just keep walking.

You should not have to take the blame for something that you did not do just to keep a client. If they are not happy with your work, then they will not be happy no matter what you do. If its a $10.00 or $10,000 job, they fuss at you, want you to take blame for something you did not do,F that! I am sure you can get that at home, at least its warm there....

There are plenty of people out there that would love to have good service, no need to take crap from one person, no matter if there 89 or 19 yrs old..

That's just me and my 2c worth.
  20. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

me too.

Old people, for the most part, drive me up a wall. one day its one way, the next day its another way. in-consistency and always downplaying everything. and most old people are stuck in the ways of what a dollar got them back when they were younger. my grandmother felt bad listing her house at 3xx,000 dollars when her original mortgage back in the 60's was like 35k, lol. she refused to accept how bad the dollar inflated, as do most people. ok sorry for the rant, but old people drive me nuts.

walk away, keep your head high and don't let them get to you. their loss in the end!