1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

so is your biz in your name or the wifes?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by payton, Feb 11, 2007.

1. payton

payton Senior Member

ive been seriously thinking bout making the wife the bizz. owner for tax reason's then id take on a vp postion. in charge of everything. theres no worries bout the wife going anywhere. and if i can save some on tax's i see this as a win win situation. any insight b4 i do this/

payton

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Only that your wife will be your boss at home and work!:D :D

3. payton

payton Senior Member

she isnt now? damn i must be doin summin wrong..

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

All me here. I am sure the wife is staying, but you just never know. Plus she only wants to do the office work anyway. That way she gets to deal with bitchy customers,lol:D

5. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

You guys who put your bus in your wifes name are nuts. A buddy of mine thought he was going to get more looks if he had it in his wifes name making it a minority owned business. Well it work good for the first 5 years then she decided she wanted out and took the business now she is running it making money and he is working at a nursery. Can someone say prenup

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My wife and I split the business 50/50. I make all the money and she spends all the money. LOL.

7. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

My wife and I are both members of the corporation. Either way it doesn't matter. She will get half if she wants to leave so why not just make it that way up front.

8. payton

payton Senior Member

i know she would get half if we split up.. but what im wondering is if the tax deductions is worth the hassle.

payton

9. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

My biz is still reg as sole proprietor but i too have thought of having it changed.

I say it's a personal decision, only you know your situation.

All Clear

10. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

can you say prenup!!!!!!!!!i don't have allot but its mine she gets nothing...ok maybe a small amount of cash:rolleyes:

11. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

if you trust your wife put the biz in her name but you have to be 100% sure everything will be fine. because if something happens you will be out of a job and your business

12. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Well unless you orig had a prenup, your SOL if your wife leaves you.... she's going to get half, no matter who's name it's in. Thats pretty clear....

As far as the better tax breaks, i don't really know how much more you might save. I took a quick look but came up with nothing more then what you yourself could claim as deductions.

All Clear

13. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

:eek: No it is al in my name.She don't even know how much money I make.LOL
    We have been together for 10 years and married for 1 year.She thinks I make about 20 grand a year and that is fine with me :D She has a really good job and she don't need any of my money.We pay our bills separately we are married but pay our bills like roomates LMAO

RCGM
    Brad

14. payton

payton Senior Member

well the wife didnt realize how much i made till we did tax's this year.after we broke 6 digits she looked at me and said where did it all go.. haha

payton

15. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Does anyone ever know where it goes?I sure and the heck don't.

RCGM
    Brad

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How will that help you tax wise?

17. payton

payton Senior Member

woman biz owner normally get bigger tax deductions

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There are no tax advantages that I know of. The advantage is in start-up funding for women-owned or minority-owned businesses.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It could also be an advantage in bidding certain government contracts. Some large contractors advertise for minority owned sub-contractors to meet government requirements for large jobs. Many times the minority contractor doesn't even have to bid the job as the general is required to have a certain % of minority contractors employed on the project.

20. CHPL

CHPL Member

wife owned business

The business will still be taxed at the same rate based on income. There is no difference tax wise. There are advantages in certain cases regarding insurance and such. Most of this is for a sole prop or single member LLC. A few examples would be if you want to have, or need to be covered under workmans comp for commercial contracts. Workmans comp is based on payroll your salary or draw and risk for the tasks you perform. So if your wife is the owner and your an employee you can aquire workmans comp on you based on your hourly rate of say $10 an hour. Your wife as the owner waives workmans comp coverage because its optional for the owner to be covered. She can then take draws at a higher income level. The business (wife) can offer a Simple IRA plan were you can have upto $10,000 a year deducted from your pay for the ira and the business can match up to 3% (The 3% is a business expense) The best thing to do is see an Accountant before you do anything so that you can figure out what is best for your situation.