1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So is there anyone in or near NJ that can teach me some basics of plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Zack1978, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Hey veryone,
    I have a 79 Toyota 4x4 with a 6.5 Fisher plow on it. It has an underhood hyd pump. I have no clue how to plow. Is there anyone that can give me some help or tips, so I don't mess anything up.

Thanks,
    Zack

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I am in North Carolina so I can't go with you but I'll give you a few tips. When I did it the first time I practiced in my parents driveway and my high school parking lot at night when nobody was around. I would just play around and see what methods worked best. Such as windrowing, stacking, and seeing how much my F250 would simply just push There are so many different situations you will run into plowin' and it is a never ending discussion. With that truck I would look for drive ways and maybe a small small parking lot or two. I would watch other drivers and maybe even offer to shovel a walk or two in exchange for some on the job experience. Maybe you can also call Fisher and ask if they have any videos or something you can have or buy for tips. Its just going to take practice. But, I can say take easy flat driveways with very few hazards to start with. Be very careful driving because your truck will not handle the same with the blade on....go easy. Good Luck!

3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

4. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

I can't wait for the snow to start falling ! I hope that NJ will provide some learning for me.

Zack

NJplowman- I dropped you a line

5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

6. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

West Milford

7. C'mon up to Clifton....

8. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Well I am close to Clifton (25 min away) so you might be willing to give me some pointers?

Zack

9. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Also If there is anyone in the Warwick, NY area I am very close in West Milford!

Thanks,
    Zack

10. Big Human

Big Human Junior Member

Zach,

Try visiting some of the Plow manufactures websites. You will find that they offten have tips for beginners. But the best tip you can get is, take your time, Don't beat the equipment. Driveways are a breeze, and you will work your way up to the big parking lots. Where the real challenge lies. :help:

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

http://www.bossplows.com/html/plowing-tips-straight.html

Thats got a few things, my dad started me plowing when i was only 8!! And have been doin his office parking lot ever since (now 15). Ive gotten alot of practice by doing that, my driveway with the plow and one other. Can't wait to be plowin next year when i get my lisense!!! Good Luck, nothing beats just goin out and just figuring things out in your own drive or as someone above said, the high school parking lot at night. Good Luck!