1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So i'm looking for a dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Fordtruckman88, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Fordtruckman88

Fordtruckman88 Member

I'm a Ford guy through and through but in recent years my ford bias opinions have changed and id drive anything American i was looking at this 06 2500 with 5.9l mega cab short bed and i was wondering how the front ends hold up with plows because i know that my ford has the toughest front end iv ever seen

2. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Most dodges are made in mexico, but they are still nice, id drive one just for the cummins though.

3. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

For the average we start replacing front end parts around 70-80k on something like that. They are pretty tough.. Usually the wheel joints will be the first things to go before any ball joint issues arise.. Its definatly a tougher setup than an ifs like chevy, but it rides like a lumber wagon in camparison as well.. lol Whatever you choose i guess.

4. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I replaced my entire front end at 63k after one season of plowing. I only plowed 3 storms that year, so I wouldn't even call it a season. Went with the Moog problem solvers which are fully greaseable. If I was to buy another Dodge, the first thing I would do is add these parts again.

5. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I had to replace upper and lower ball joints on my 03 ram diesel at 40,000 miles. My mechanic did replace them with the greasable ones.....

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had to put ball joints in my 2001 at 100,000 but other than that we haven't touched anything on either truck. The 2001 had 2 1/2 seasons of plowing on it before doing that

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

NO PLOWS ON MEGA CABS. The front ends have issues and you will paying for all of it out of your pocket.

8. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

cummins is a great motor but the dodges seem to eat front ends. Get greasable replacement parts and grease them often if you plow.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  9. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

i dont know where you can get a used mega cab but i know were you can get a full 4door cab(club cab maybe) if your in mass we have one at our dealership, its got 60k i think black auto with the cummins, pretty good shape just put new axle u-joints ball joints and front and rear brake pads w/rotors let me know i can talked to our sales dept and see what we can get for you for a decent price www.brown5star.com (may not be on the website due to it being detailed right now)

10. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

If you want to buy a Dodge This is the place! Dave Smith Motors in Kellog Idaho, I purchased mine there, I found if you qualify for the 0% financing and the rebate you'll be within a few thousand of a good used one with an extended driveline warranty so I went brand new; 07 3500 Mega 6.7L CTD 6spd AT loaded larime with every option except sun roof, ran me $41843, but if you want used here's one of his special's ( which by the way any Dodge he has sold in the past typically has California emissions so it will meet Mass inspection regs) http://inventory.usautosales.com/details.php?id=23955&cat=&make=Dodge&listtype=html&cat=trucks

11. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

I prefer the dana axle on your ford and the 2nd gen and older dodges---ball joints seem to last longer. Leaf sprung front ends will hold up better to plowing but for doesn't have those anymore so you might as well give the Dodge a shot.
    Good luck---you'll like the turning radius compared to a leaf sprung front end.

12. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

I did front drive shaft ujoints @ 30K and axle ujoints @ 36k after 3 seasons @ 46k now 4th season still stock ball joints for now as things go replace with good greasables like the other guys said