1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So I'm about to order a v box.....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I am just about to order a v box, no particular brand just one thats reasonable and is dependable. I like the dual electric but an not opposed to a Honda gas model. I want to order from a friend of mine who sells Salt Doggs but shipping might be an issue. I priced the Fisher Poly Caster as I like everything about it but the price.....$6600.00 :eek: Even a Fisher SS gas model was pushing 6k! I need an unbiased opinion about a Salt Dogg (I iwas going to go with a 1.8 cu. yrd SS model. I talked to 3 different guys who all said they were not very reliable and stay away. Any thoughts? Collin, if you read this, I'm just covering my butt as there is NO dealer support around here for Satl Doggs and my luck.....

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Can't help on the issue specifically, but in my opinion, no dealer support is a deal breaker for me. Gotta have a good dealer. Sh*t happens

3. Brian Young

I understand but the price is right! My other options are a dealer who sells DownEaster and AirFlow but dont know if I can trust if something breaks it would be fixed in a timely manor. I could very easily picture them saying "well you did this or that and its not covered". And I read an older post where they were comparing the price difference between the Fisher poly caster, Western Tornado and the Blizzard Ice Chaser (I think) and the Blizzard was the cheapest price....their the same friggen spreader just different colors.

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say a Western V Box, parts are readily available on line. Angelos.com has some good pricing.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

We just bought an AirFlo 1.8yd SS v-box, dual electric, top screen, removable chute, etc, out the door for $4500. I'm rather impressed with the quality of the unit, and all of the wear parts (drag chain, bearings, etc.) appear to be universal, same ones as in many other gas motor v-boxes. I'm in the process of building my own side extensions to give me 3 yards (level) capacity, versus spending $800 for the stainless airflo one that would have brought it to about 2.6 yards (level). Seemed like a pretty good deal compared to what you spend on a hunk of plastic... I also avoided the plastic ones as I wanted to bolt it down (chassis cab truck) versus using straps. As far as amp draw, I've heard less than 60 amps, which is a cake walk for the average modern pickup/dump to keep up with. Electric seems to be the way to go for far less aggravation with non-starting gas motors, maintenance, noise, etc. I have another stainless electric (buzz box) and it's been flawless for 4 years with the only maintenance cost being a couple $10 bearings, which were my fault for not greasing them properly.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Air flow or Snow Way stainless. Dual motor electric, conveyor. Best spreaders out there IMHO.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

there is very little propriatary about a SS v-box hopper spreader unless you go with ICE-O-WAY or snoway swing chutes. Most of the manufacturers use buyers (saltdogg) as a supplier.

Inless it's brand new and they have not told the dealers there is no Dual motor Snoway Electric.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  8. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

If i had to replace my snowex then i would probably go with a buyers spreader. Two of my friends have used them trouble free for two seasons. They both saw about 60 tons each the last couple of seasons. I know that there was a controller issue with them last season, but these particular spreaders have the controller that resembles a karrier unit. I also like how much material you can put down if you want to. Hope fully this helps!!

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i know 2 or 3 people using salt dogg spreaders, bringing them out of the states (we don't have a dealer here). Everyone has said that Buyers is great to deal with

10. Ranger620

Ranger620 PlowSite Veteran

I've had a buyers for 5 years now. Last year the truck it was in was involved in a accident. Prior to that it was flawless. I did have to put a new motor on it. Recoil snapped messed some stuff up. Angelos had a decent deal on the motor so for an extra $75 (if memory serves me correctly) I got a brand new motor instead of just the recoil. Still siting in the yard been thinking about fixing it back up but may just send it to scrap.
    Now if I were to buy another one I would go electric. As far a buyers goes I am done with there products good or bad after my experiance with there pushers. When it comes to pusheres dont go cheap stick with protech or artic some thing that is designed correctly

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The important parts:cool:

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

13. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Salt Dogg poly.......works great....

14. Brian Young

Well it turns out there is a local dealer if something were to go wrong. So it looks like the Salt Dogg for me. Just have to wait and get actual signed contracts before I invest any more into this season. Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

15. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I was sooooo close to pulling the trigger on a smith, they look like really nice units. It would have been just a little more expensive than the AirFlo, but there are no local dealers. The nearest smith dealer to me is in Ohio.

16. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Smiths are great units. I have two of them on our fleet plus ss saltdoggs. I also have access and I am set up with downeaster if you want more info pm me. Thanks Collin

17. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I have a 1500 Poly Salt Dogg, no issues with it running for 2 seasons now.

18. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

:eek: $6600.00 for a polycaster 1.8? Thats outrageous. I paid $4060 for my 1.5 Tornado installed and a little over $5600 for my 2.5 Tornado installed, but they are worth every penny IMO.

19. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

they are very easy to work on, if you have any skills, the parts are pretty universal and you can do any work yourself.

20. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

it amazes me how spreader pricing can vary sooooo much,
    years ago when I bought my first spreader I called 10 different dealers and I finally ordered it from chicago paid $250 to have it shipped to my house and it was still $900 cheaper than my local dealer who would not drop his price even $10 !!! If your still check out these guys www.snowplowplus.com