1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So I went out and looked at new trucks today

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I have to say the Crew Cab 3/4 HD is a nice looking truck. The only problem is that it was a 6.0 gas job. I'm really leaning towards the D/A combo as I put about 20k miles a year on the truck. As I think to myself out loud here.......the only D/A the dealer had was a Red 3/4 Silverado ECSB, Green Silverado RCLB, and Black Sierra ECLB. They had much nicer options in the gasser...but I'm going to get crushed in gas....but it's about 5k cheaper.....damn damn damn...

Round and round I go......:dizzy:
  2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Have you driven both? Get the D/A, you won't regret it. Trust me.
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

...i wish i got it :eek:
  4. G&S in Md

G&S in Md Junior Member

I agree, DRIVE IT

The only regret I have is I didnt buy one sooner
  5. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i have both a 05 2500 6.0
    and we have a 07 3500 srw d-max
    6.0 10 mpg 6 mpg when plowing
    d-max 19mpg

get a D-max
    they hold value better also
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Once you go to diesel, your not going back....:rolleyes:
  7. Antnee77

from RI

You saying that seriously? It's the truth!
  8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

we may buy a 6.0 gas is a 2005 left over 4x4 dump the price is right the new diesel will be about 10k more than this truck
  9. OK, so here's the dissenting opinion. I would love the DMax myself but you have to do the math. 5K more for the DMax. I know there are a lot of variables, but the cost to go 200 miles in a 6.0/4.10 @12mpg at $2/gallon is $33. The same in a DMax @20 mpg at $2.50/gallon is $25. You would only save $800 in 20,000 miles. That's more than a six year payback. The fuel prices I used are for here in the Northeast.
    If you're gonna do it, you better do it now because from what I hear, the new EPA rules on diesel emissions for '07 will add an additional 3K-5K to the Diesel package.
  10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

This has been hashed around before.....

The cost of diesel fuel is more than gas in Illinois - maybe it's different where you live. The optional diesel engine and trans is more like 7 grand for an option. I believe the cost for a typical oil change is way more than $20 bucks which is the typical cost for a gas engine. So, consider maintance too.

Sure some love diesel, the sound, and some actually need the low end torque. However, do the math ... There is no 5 or 6 year pay back. Now if you 'want'
    the diesel or have a real need for the diesel torque or have access to a free diesel fuel source then get the diesel.
  11. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

I went throught the same thing in Feb. I could not justify the cost of 7K for the D/A option. When in truth I wanted a standard tranny anyway. That only left me with the 5K option of the lesser HP Duramax. I am very happy with my 6.0 and manual tranny. I get 10 mpg plowing, 10-12 pulling my box trailer, and 15-16 on the highway empty. The other major factor is the low sulfer fuel. A lot of people are having trouble in the transition. If you have to add additive to fuel every tank, your $3/gal just went to $3.15/gal. Just some food for thought. I did a lot of research before my purchase. The only thing I would have done different, I will get the 8.1 next time even though I have pulled over 12K with no problem. Do not get me wrong, I have owned diesels in the past and really wanted to get one this time. It just did not make for a good business choice. That is my $0.02 worth.
  12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Some good arguements here guys. Thanks. This weekend I intend to do some real number crunching to see what is what. I should also note, that I get the vehicle at the GMS price, which will have me a few grand.

13. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

It's cheaper to run the gas over the diesel. On everything from the cost of fuel/ gas to oil changes etc.......

It pays to get the diesel if you haul a lot of stuff or heavy equipment. The diesel hauls it without a issue, where the 6.0 struggles. Not that it's a bad engine, cause it's not. It's just a gas hog.

That being said, I went from a diesel Ford to a gas 2500hd (6.0) and back to a diesel in a Dodge 2500. The deal I got on my diesel was the exact same as a gas 2500 ram. Too good to pass up.
  14. Antnee77

from RI

Hey, if you really want to do it to save money, get a Biodiesel setup in your shop/garage/basement. My buddy has one set up and supposedly he's been making the stuff for $.30 a gallon. I personally didn't buy it to save on gas, mine will pay for itself 100x over.
  15. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Thanks guys....I'll be posting some numbers maybe this weekend on the prices for each truck, etc. Stay tuned.

JRKRACE Senior Member

If you want or need the power, diesel is the way to go. I was in the same boat awhile ago and the thing that turned me off about the diesel was the fact you were limited in what you could hang off the truck. Crew cabs with plows and the chance of no warranty along with the price difference put me into the gasser. I would have loved to get the diesel and I will at some point.

Also, when figuring the price, don't forget the rebate amounts. The diesels usually have 1500.00 less of a rebate than the gassers do, so figure accordingly.
  17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Do you need a truck for the miles your driving a year? Could you just use a plow truck and a vehicle to commute in?
    I would buy the diesel as even though the up front cost is more it will be worth 3-4 grand more when its 5-6 years old and your selling it.
  18. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

You guys who buy new trucks how long do you keep them normally if you are happy with them . I not being a business man myself couldn't justify spending anywhere close to new prices for any ride be it truck, car or anything . and with diesels the up front cost difference if you only keep your truck for a few years . do you get it on short terms 3 yrs or less?