1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So I Need A Oilpan

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cretebaby, Nov 3, 2008.

1. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i have been told i need a oilpan for my 99 does anyone know of a cheap fix or how much it costs to have it done considering they need to pull the motor
  2. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You would be doing good if you can get it done for $1500 or less. A dealer will want that or more, all the way up to $3000. You can try to patch it, but its not going to be a permanent solution.
  3. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

when you say "you have been told" what does that mean

Did someone tell you it was rusted out to the point it was leaking? If so then yes it needs to be replaced and the motor needs to come out.

If it's not leaking then you can put a coating/rust system on it.

I will be using KBS coatings on mind.

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

patch it so it isnt noticable.
    trade it in.
    forget about it.
  5. cretebaby

the truck is leaking pretty bad and my trusted mechanic says it needs to be replaced

i wont be trading anytime soon this truck will be punished with a blade on the front for several more years
  6. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Theres nothing cheap about the 7.3 oil pans .don't fool yourself if it rusted to the point there it leaking or metal is faking and ready to pop i'd suggest replacement most dealers are going to charge anywhere in the 1200 too 1400 range to do this job .
  7. cretebaby

oh ya my guy said 1500 so it looks like he is in the ballpark
  8. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

When he replaces it....don't just put a new one on...coat it with something that will last or you will be doing this again.
  9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Guys are cutting the crossmember, replacing the pan and then welding the crossmember back in. From what i have seen with no bad effects. Makes it a 2 hours job instead.

Ford should have just made it a bolt in crossmember. When i have to do mine I will cut the crossmember and make the center section bolt it.
  10. cretebaby

I thought that sounded resonable but my "guy" about fell on the floor when i mentioned this:confused:
  11. Flipper

from CT

I did two when I first heard of it being done. I had first thought of it back in 2000 when I had to do my 95. After I read about it being done on some Ford forums we found some local guys who had done it. Then we did it last fall on a 01.

I personally know of 5 I think that have done it with the latest being May of this year. No issues in driving / alignment / weld cracking etc. Like I said, I will weld tabs on mine so it will be unboltable in the future and bolt it in with 6-8 bolts.

I'm lucky for now my 99 has 130000 on it and the pan looks new, of course it had not plowed. My 02 is starting to show a bit. Its plowed its whole life but I wash them off after stroms with hot water and then they come inside and are dried with compressed air.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  12. cretebaby

i am going to look around a little and see if i can find a local to try it that way but i trust my mechanic seing he has done everything on all of my trucks for several years and i dont want to tick him off either
  13. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

7.3s in international trucks have bolt in cross members.....wish ford did that!
  14. Flipper

from CT

Yeah so do I. Of course they also could have just made a better pan or at least come up with a composite or aluminum replacement.
  15. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

My 7.3 will have a bolt in crossmember by the time I need to swap out my pan!
  16. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

My 97 looked like new when I sold it a month ago. It would get a fish eye here and there But if i sanded and painted they never came back. The problem is people never taking care of a tiny rust spot that turns into a rot nightmare.
  17. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

the reason why you need to pull the engine is that the sealant will not seal if there is any oil near it.The engine needs to be upside down while the sealant cures so no oil will get near the sealant.Also it's important to use fresh sealant and by sealant I dont mean rtv silicone
  18. jayw

jayw Junior Member

just replaced the oil pan on my 02 with 78000 on itt his summer $1600.00 glade i got a extended warrenty, its paid for its self almost 2 times over the past two years