1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So I lost one today.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Peterbilt, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

So I haven't been getting paid by this hotel in my town. I billed them on December 16, 2007. They asked me to bill them so They could pay me by the end of December.

Well Its now the end of January, And I still havn't been paid. So On my January Bill I added the past due amount and nicely stated that if I wasn't paid in full by Febuary 14 that I would suspend all Plowing services untill paid in full.

I think that sound fair.

So I get a call from the manager saying that they found somelse to plow thies lot and that we wern't doing a good job. And that he had been away for a week and his lot looked like it hadn't been touched.

Well. In our contract, He or a representitive from his hotel is responsible for letting us know when thier lot is empty of cars so we can do our follow ups. (We plow the traffic lanes before people leave in the morning. Any call from them is a follow up and once we get on site we are on the clock. So if we do the whole lot or 1 stall we are getting paid.

Well this last week he (the manager) was gone. We had record lows -17 to -23. And we had that light snow that packs down real hard. Our melters were useless so we just plowed and waited till later in the week when the temps were a bit more freindly to my melters.

Well what happens to packed snow when it gets melters and warmth? It fluffs up like its not been plowed. Well I drove by a few times and wanted to stop and plow, But they never called for a plowing (Like they are suposed to)

So the manager has been telling us all season how good we are at what we do. How accessible we are in doing follow ups and how fast we are at clearing his lot.

So Today (After I give him the ultimatium) He tells me how the bill is way to high, I tell him that we have had a record amount of snow and clearing that much snow and with all the follow-up calls makes bills go up. Then he tries to justify his discission by saying that "We never come out, we dont do a good job. Blah Blah Blah. And I will be paid and If not contact him.

So I know it doens't sound like it but THANK GOD I DON'T Have this piece of crap account anymore.

And If i don't get paid Hello collections.

Peterbilt

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yep... We lost on last week, cause we wouldnt clear the grass walk way form the front of door to the mail box LOL

Some ppl its better not to work for!!

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel bad for the new plowing contractor. I would love to have heard that conversation.

Hotel: Our bill was way to high.
    Contractor: I would never charge that much
    Hotel; They never came out and they did a bad job
    Contractor; We are the best and we will do it for free.
    Hotel; I have a bunch of rooms. Lets go to one
    Contractor; I love man on man love
    Hotel; Oh Me toooooooooooooooooo

Peterbilt

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

LOL Funny

Send me a PM... with what areas you cover Might have a account for u

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Thanks. But I am in Iowa, And I just picked up a large condo association so loosing a crappy non-payer for a good, greatful condo association is a good thing.

Not to mention I am a fairly good sized contractor with some great accounts, and an AWESOME Crew!!

Plus the hotel was like a $150.00 per push and the condo association is an $850.00 per push. so no big deal.

I just hate being told that I don't do a good job. I have plenty others that I am the go to contractor. They call, It gets done, asap. and the right way the first time.

Peterbilt

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Even thought this is only my first year plowing, I know one thing, you can't satisfy everyone. Good luck with your condos you just picked up!

7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly some people just are never going to be happy, regardless of how much a#@ kissing you do!

8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

too bad you dont still have the account. we had one guy who owned an apartment complex. we plowed it 5 times in one month. he got the bill 1500 per push. $7500 bill. plus like $350 for a salting. this was in december. we give untill the next bill to pay. so january. we plow him. now hes got an outstanding $7500+ bill. and a $9000 bill for january. so i told him nicely if the december bill isnt paid in 15 days we reserve the right to take actions stated in the contract (legal action). he said alright ill pay it before then. 16 days later i call him. why havent you paid. well i dont need you i found someone else. i said you still need to pay. he said he doesnt. so we liened the property. and he paid within 2 days.

so if the guy hasnt or doesnt pay you. i would recomend doing the same. you can lien the property and he therefore looses all right to the property untill the debt is paid. then you release or drop the lien. just an idea. idk how much he owes you but in our case it was a lot of money. and it wasnt the first time we've done that and it probobly wont be the last. i mean if he owes you $1000 its not really worth it but if he owes you like $5000 or more then i would consider it.

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I hope it doesn't go that far.

They owe me somethng like $3000 so its quite a bit. And thats for 2 months.

Its not that they owe me anything that gets me all worked up, Its the fact that he went and hired someone else, told them I sucked (Not that they weren't paying) And making me look like ******.

I Run a very High end plowing service. I Have top notch operators that run My equipment. I have top of the line removal equipment. And I loose sleep at night thinking about how I can better serve my customers. I get customers because of these reasons.

So loosing this one isn't that big of a deal finicially, its the blow to my reputation that upsets me.

Peterbilt

10. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

So loosing this one isn't that big of a deal finicially, its the blow to my reputation that upsets me.

That is what makes you a good company. The fact that you care about the people you work for, and the quality of the job, not just the money. Good things will come, just remember there is always someone looking for something for free.

11. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Was this an American owned hotel??

12. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

Here we go again :rolleyes:

13. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

Originally Posted by fordzilla1155
    Was this an American owned hotel??

Here we go again