1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So I got a ticket today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GrandScapes, Jan 30, 2007.

1. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

Yeah thats correct, the Genesee County weighmaster nailed me today and guess what the ticket was for? I guess my plow on my dump truck is to wide for road use without a permit. He said that
    8 ft is the legal limit and my plow is a 9 ft plus the wings. He actually would not let me drive the truck back to the yard with the wings on it and of course they have locks holding them on so I had to leave it in the parking lot I was PLOWING when he pulled me over, and then I went back with bolt cutters to take the wings off. He said if I do get a permit, that all that includes is I can use the truck during daylight hours only except for on weekends and holidays. I asked if it mattered that we do municipal work and he replied that it is even illegal for the county trucks to be wider if in the inproper times. THIS IS CRAP!!!!

The weighmasters have really been putting a hurting on us contractors around here..Anybody else having any "piggy" issues?
  2. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

how wide is the plow at full angle?
  3. go plow

go plow Senior Member

ive never heard of such permit. you mean to tell me that any plow over 8ft you need to have a permit ? and you cant work at night? what a joke, the only thing that will get you a ticket around my area is if your over weight, if you have a load that is not covered or if you have sand on your bumper/tow plate...ive even plowed my way down a steep hill with a state trooper behind me before and didnt get in trouble.
  4. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

The ticket says 10-6" with the wings on it. The plow itself is 9ft
  5. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Here I believe the widest load you can have is 8.5 im not sure but i will have to check. but a 9 ft angled fits within that. Iv never heard of anyone requiring a permit for a 9 ft plow. Angle your plow and measure from one point straight across like your making a triangle to the other side and see how wide it is.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

He pulled you over when you were plowing or when you were on the road ?
    If he got you in the lot while plowing, thats BS and he can't prove you went down the road with it.
    Our legal width is 102".
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Same here,you can run anything you want as long as it's 102" or less angled.
  8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

same here 102 is max width with out it being consider a wide load, and needing all permits and such to go with it.
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I saw you sitting in the Fenton bowl parking lot and had just past the weigh master and i figure he got you ! The bald weigh master is the worst ! White pine got hit for the same thing in December i here. We have a truck that is the same as you guys and drive it with the plow angled. I was told not to even drive in Grand Blanc with wings on cos GB Twp police will pull you over and ticket you.
  11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

12. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

What a joke huh! Sounds like the trooper was a little hungry for some action! I mean come on!!! Never had any trouble here with my plowing, but boy you better have everything DOT to the max with your bigger trucks and trailers here! Its an all out ticket war here for that. Good luck!
  13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

People, you really need to know the law before you work, figure it out.

Yes, a 9' plow, angled is within the 102" (8' 6" for you that can't do the math) but the original poster said that he had a 9' plow with wings.

That's illegal.

It's no different than someone that doesn't pay tax.

It's no different than someone that doesn't have license plates.

It's no different than someone that doesn't have the right lettering, DOT number (if needed), medical card, extinguisher, etc.

People are on here talking about lowballers that don't follow the law, yet complain when the law busts someone.

This should be a lesson learned. If you're running wings on a plow that's over 8', that you'd best pull the wings off from lot to lot.
  14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Before bashing and scorning people, it might help to keep your facts straight. Law in MI is 96" not the 102".

Reading does help one understand the law. Good place to start.

Still 10' 6" is pushing it. The OP might of had a chance if he could show that the wings would come off. I would bet the ticket was written after the officer saw that the wings could not come off.

I was thinking that he would have a chance fighting the ticket as it was in a parking lot. There is some crap in the law somewhere that lets them do it, if they knew you had, or were, getting on a public way.

To bad he did not try to get you with a Blizzard 810 or 8611 with the wings open in the lot. That would of made of a good comedy.
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If they are Pro Wings, I believe it says in the instructions not to put them on a plow over 8 feet in length. I always assumed it was because of the DOT laws. Guess maybe i was right?
  16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

It means, get your fact straight before you criticize others. :)
  18. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

If I read BNC posts correctly, the solution to your problem is very simple. Go to Staples or Office max and get cards printed up saying rabbits and snow removal with your number on it. Then get a male and female horseshoe rabbit and carry them around in the back of the truck. Hey you are making a delivery. You are in the husbandry business. It wouldn't hurt to be wearing a hat made with fox fur when he stops you the next time. You have to use horseshoe rabbits(their natural habitat is cold snowy weather) or the DRB(dirty rotten *******) will give you a ticket for crueltry to animals.
  19. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Isn't basta_d a husbandry term
  20. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The GB Twp. police will pull you over for any little thing they can. Since they started their own little "carrier control", they have a field day on all the lawn service trucks out there...good revenue. All trucks must be lettered, safety equip., etc. All flatbeds and dumps must have GVW tags if they are pulling a trailer,...etc..