1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So I got a strobe problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stovezbt, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

This is what I've got, 90watt 6 head whelen supply. I use 4 heads on two switches. I was out and had the strobes on and the unit just quit. It was not hot, had only been on a couple of minutes. It just quit flashing the strobes and was humming. I have checked through all the connections and neither switch works, just makes the power supply hum. Would this indicate anything specific? Maybe I should send the unit in for warranty.

After seeing the pics of a members install in the chevy section, I think that I am going to reinstall mine and re wire just to make sure that is not the problem.

Any ideas??

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

When I first started using mine (Whelen), they worked fine until I started plowing. Somehow the strobe heads got a bit wet and only worked intermittently. I sealed off all the connections with silicon caulk and now everything works fine.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you unplug all the strobe heads and turn it on does it still hum ? Plug them back in one by one and see which one makes it stop working.You may be able to figure out which cable or bulb it is,or if it's they unit.I would assume from the humming noise,thats it may be a bad unit.

If it's a cable or bulb problem,you may have water in the connections,or a shorted cable.Follow the cable to the bulb and see if it's pinched or grounded anywhere.I hope you used water proof connectors.
  4. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

Thanks for the speedy replies. I will look over connections and try the process of elimination.

5. mcgreen71

mcgreen71 Junior Member

Strobe problems

It is very important to add dielectric grease to the connections for strobes if used in salt/snow conditions. They don't say this in the manual but the Molex connectors are NOT waterproof. I sell CODE 3 products and have seen this problem MANY times with my customers. Add a squirt of dielectric grease to each of the 3 female 'prongs' on the wiring harness and that should take care of your problem!
  6. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

A little off the subject

When installing strobes it is preferable to mount them in the bottom of the housing and at least 3/4 of inch away from the outside lens.

Maximum wattage per strobe should be 22.5 watts ( or less ) to prevent melting of the housing.

10 watts per strobe is acceptable for night use only...day use at least 15 watts should work out well.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

is everyone haveing problems with these lol? i have a 90 watt supply and was using em all morning and all of a sudden they just stopped working. you press the button, they flash once, and the power supply hums. i called the dealer and he said the power pack sounds shot. im going to check tomorrow with him.
  8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Some 6 head power units need to have 4 on the first switch to operate properly. check your install inst.

Agree on the H20 problem or loose wires. Have had loose conn's cause this problem on other units. Use the Deutch conn's to eliminate alot of problems.
  9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i have a nova 606 and i was runing four heads off of one switch.well it lasted about 3 hours and it cooked the switch.i now run a 3 switch setup on all my trucks the switches and the nova 606 are double fused.one fuse at the battery and one at the switches and power supply.once i did get water in my beacon so it started cutting in and out.plus it was making a funny noise.i also had a bad connection to the power supply.that stumped me for days.