1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So I got a call today....TODAY!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NLS1, Nov 30, 2007.

1. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

One of my commercial lots about 30,000 sq ft with limited stacking areas and a bit of backdragging calls me this morning and left a message. Says that they got a bid from a guy who has been "plowing for years one of the other stores" owned by the same group. His bid was $60-$90, probably $60 most of the time :realmad: and now they think I am "way too expensive". I tell them that is a ridiculous price for anyone who was giving good service, reliable and insured. I tell them you get what you pay for everytime, and wasn't I giving you great service before? Yes, you were, really great service but.... Ok I tell you what, I will not come as often like you requested at the end of last season during the day and only plow at night unless it gets really deep and you call... I guess slip and falls aren't a big deal for these boners... :dizzy: .... No we still want the lower price... Well then I can't help you because in 15 min I can make as much by plowing two or three driveways.... There is a lot more than 3 driveways worth there don't you think?.... When this guy fails to give service which he probably will, call me and I will try to accommodate you..... Oh no, he will give good service, he just started the company with his dad and he is real nice... Wait, I thought you said that he has been plowing your other store for years?... Oh well I don't know the details, the other manager just said I was spending too much money... Why then are you telling me this right now? We had a 60 day cancellation time if you switched companies.... Oh well we still want you to do all of our summer stuff next year... We'll see about that is what I was thinking, I am raising the price a bunch for FU>>ING with me... They never paid on time and I had to get the regional manager involved( who happens to be really awesome) before I got paid. Now I still have their flagship store as a customer and they are really awesome... I guess having one of their regional managers slip and fall at one of the meetings wouldn't be too great so they didn't complain there, almost the same size lot, and the same price...:dizzy:

The good news is I got 7 new driveways today... yes 7 in one day. The storm threat scared them out of the wood work. Only met 2 before, the others were brand new! What a cool deal! The jokes on the scabber when he just breaks even and doesn't make money and has to raise the price next year. I hope that he screws up bad and I can raise the price for them even more now that they went looking for such a good deal... Otherwise good riddance! Can't wait for the snow!

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

dang right raise the price when they call you....

its a messed up world when plowing driveways becomes more profitable the commercial lots......(same as mowing lately)

and they will call you.....payup

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Bottom line you are in business to MAKE money. If it were for recreation, then you could do a commercial lot for gas money, or just for fun!! But if you rely on plowing income to pay some type of bill(s), then move on. There are people out there who are willing to pay for your SERVICE and their PEACE OF MIND, they may be hard to find at times, but they're there. You will never compete against someone out there trying tomake beer money. Just remind your customer "I'm sorry I can't do that price, The SERVICE that I sell is worth more than that. When XXXX doesn't show up or you are not pleased with his work, please give me a call."
    I've had them come back....they might get by with a 2", but when you get dumped on, and XXXXX is hours late clearing their lot, that's when your phone will ring.