1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So I am going to see a truck this weekend!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MoreSnowInCanad, Feb 5, 2009.

1. MoreSnowInCanad

MoreSnowInCanad Junior Member
    from Toronto

It is a 2005 Ford - 250 diesel with 77 km.

It is a plow truck but the plow is less than 2 months old, I guess the owner could not pay his bills (or they tell you that so you think you are getting a better deal).

Anyway my question is this, other than a working plow are there any other mods that the truck should have?

Somebody told me if the they did not re inforce the frame and add heavy duty cooling to the trany I should walk away?

What are you feelings on this?
  2. Mowtivated Lawn

Mowtivated Lawn Junior Member
    from Toledo

My buddy just replaced an injector in his, I was going to look at an 05 350 with 66k but decided not to because in it history report it had just had four of the eight injectors replaced, and some other sensory recently so decided not to, had the 6.0 PS. There is an on line forum somewhere to run the vin # and if it has had any service issues at dealers it will show, so basically a carfax for mechanical. Let me know if you want me to find it out for you.
  3. MoreSnowInCanad

MoreSnowInCanad Junior Member
    from Toronto

I did not know something like that existed, for sure I want more info.

I thought these diesel lasted forever, thanks for the heads up.

If you want you can PM me, I don't think I am allowed to post my email.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

What you wanna do is get vin number...and obtain an oasis report on the truck. This, not like a carfax will give you all prior work done on the vehicle, and will let you know if this vehicle has been prone to problems or what not...

Let me know if you need more help getting an oasis report.
  5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

most trucks do not have the frame strengthened any more than the stock plow that was added on. Asktymusic:nod: the seller for the used vehicle report,(probably not the correct name) on the vehicle. Lots of times the seller does not supply and you end up payin for it at the licence bureau any way. So why not see it at the sellers site. If your not mechanically inclined bring a 'wrench head" along with you. Buyer Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The 05's had a lot of tranny problems in the beginning. Especially when plowing.

Most of the heavy duty trucks come with tranny coolers and a few other coolers as well. That is low mileage for an 05 IMO.
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

the 6.0 is by far the most troublesome diesel!