1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So how was your day?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HALH VT, Feb 14, 2007.

1. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I started out this morning to run my whole route once and get everything open so I could get back into it to clean up. I thought I would finish the first round by noon. Not a chance, everything took twice as long for a minimum job, and it was snowing too fast to keep up. Visibility was poor, and I couldn't keep the windows clear.

Got stuck just before noon, missed the town plow while I was home getting the tractor, he could have yanked me right out. Even with the tractor I wound up having to jack up the front and put blocks under the wheel. I was down over the end of a culvert.

After lunch I called a friend who came over to help, he did two drives for me, then I got stuck again, and while trying to pull me out, he lost his 4wd, nothing broken but it looks like the control lever is twisted, so it won't move far enough to get the front axle engaged. So he left, and I went home and tried to start my dozer, no luck there, it needs to be tarped over and the torpedo heater run under it for a couple hours. And that means humping a generator over to it from the plowed road to where it sits by the log pile.

Meanwhile I had called my alternate backups, and a couple other friends besides. Everybody is up to their neck in it, no help until tomorrow. The best offer I got was for a four wheel drive backhoe loader available about 7AM. By then I will have lost the six drives that I didn't get to, plus some of the ones I did earlier, and oh yes, one call in, his brother usually does it with the 4 wheeler, but he's on the road trucking and won't be home soon. That one is nasty on a good day, and with this much snow it will take forever with the loader.

Done with the ranting and raving,I'm going try to go to sleep and forget it all until morning.
  2. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

I feel your pain man.. over 2 feet today.. already had 2 feet on the gorund.. no where to put the snow and now the lake effect machine for thurs and fri.. its been non stop around the clock.. dam when is mowing coming again.. how bad is vt getting it???
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

1" tops on the ground this morning, and then it maybe sleeted about 2 more inches. then turned to rain and the wind got nasty. Rained with a bit of hail here and there hard for awhile. Flooding everywhere. did my accounts and pushed slush mostly, but supposed to get real cold again by tomorrow so everything will freeze up solid. Should be very nice. Nice thing about today was that there wasn't much salt if any on the roads to eat up my truck, but tomorrow I'm sure there will be a plenty.
  4. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I also figured out way too late that I should have dumped the pull plow at lunch time , and just loaded ballast. The pull plow hangs low enough to be a "real drag" if you are trying to get up a hill without plowing, or holding your front plow a little high so that it's not scraping every thing. You can also forget backing into snow of this depth with the pull plow behind you. I wasn't cleaning anything up so I didn't really need it.
  5. prostreetcamaro

prostreetcamaro Junior Member

We got 4" of nothing but sleet with a solid crust of ice on top. Brakes went out on the very first residential so we had to limp it home and grab the expedition and hand shovel all that heavy ****. I hate winter more and more every year. Alot of guys thinking plowing is fun but I have learned to hate it.
  6. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

10" here in the Berkshires. Should be some more snow drifting and maybe some more accumulation tonite. My day started off great, at my second account, broke a hydraulic line, lost all kinds of fluid. Took way too long to change out, but got it done, and went out and hit the rest of my accounts. Picked up another one today too. Got called into work for snowblowing and shoveling, did eight hours there, then back out plowing until 10:30. 15 hour day for me. Im going to bed. Back up tomorrow early to clean up the mess...
    Hope everyone made some cash today in MA.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I was at Chuck E. Cheese for 5-6 hours yesterday, then went and looked for a rug / floormat for the entryway for the house.

Today, we're going to the Mall of America for my oldest, who turned 5 yesterday.
  8. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Hey- i recog that name from lawnsite i think- anyway

that bites about hand shoveling and I feel your pain. I was able to use the snowblowers from 9 to 5, but then everything started to freeze fast and the shovels and blowers were useless. I salted everything, went back today and hand shoveld. torture.
  9. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I have an urge to make fun of this, with the exception of the child. But, I won't.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I called off work for the event and blew a brake line an hour into it !
    Thank GOD I could get it fixed or I would of missed the "Blizzard of 07".
  11. greatlawns

greatlawns Junior Member
    from NJ

I had a wonderful day :realmad:

To start, nothing happened until Wed morning (it was supposed to start Tues early evening) and when it started to come down, it was mostly ice. We didn't even have 3" on the ground, but I decided to go out and plow anyway. Since we were up all night waiting for it to start, we were already tired. It came down as all ice for most of the day, until night when it changed to mostly snow. By that time, we had to go back to the 10 or so from earlier and redo them. Not to mention that I received about another 10 calls from lawn mowing customers who never signed up for snowplowing. Since I didn't want to piss these people off and they were stuck, I agreed to do the plowing. Well that sucked because it added tons of time to what was an already pain in the ass day. To make matters worse, one of the trucks blew reverse gear and I had to go pull it out of pile of snow on the edge of a cliff with my other truck. Now we're down to one truck.

Needless to say, we were up all night!!! :sleeping:

I'm going to bed.
  12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty decent plowing event. Had 3 plowing sessions of about 7 hours each with 3-4 hours off between. Extra travel between plowing times cut my hourly rate, but for 21 hours in the truck I did well.

Had a couple issues still yet to be diagnosed or fixed. The truck began making a locomotive "chugging" sound traveling on the highway after the first 7 hours of plowing. Shut it down and went back out 3 hours later with no problem. Might get it looked at anyway, as I think there's some kind of exhaust issue from before. The Fisher seemed to "float" a little too much angling. Seemed to float freely in both directions after releasing the joystick. Don't know if I could duplicate the action now if I wanted to! Something for the dealer to ponder & look at.

Take care

13. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

3 snowblowers broke (tranny, auger, just froze), 2 plows broke (one hose, one controller). Ill start fixing them tomorrow, have to find a heated garage first.
  14. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

This why as a solo op I have 3 snowblowers as well...you never know.
  15. MickiRig1

The guy I subcontract for was having a kitten when my truck went down with a popped brake line. He went from 5 trucks working the storm to 1 in 4 hours time!
    I get home and there's no electric. I need the compressor so I can zip off some bolts holding on the fuel filter heat shield. ( The Lines behind it ) Lights and heat would be nice too. The trucks dripping ice water. Find the leak,see the issues involved,no electric,slam garage door stomp to house. Get in house shut door LIGHTS COME ON !
  16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

That was funny:p
  17. LwnmwrMan22

Figured I'd better update.....

Today went to church, then picked up the mom-in-law from the airport.

Got home, felt like crap, then did.

About 7 pm, sitting you know where again, got a whiff, and quick turned around and let it fly 6 times from the other end.

Now I get to sleep in the bunk bed with the 5 year old, because he's doing the same thing.

The 2 year old has already been dealing with it for a week........
  18. MickiRig1

There's a lot of that going around LwnmwrMan22.
    Try to get a flu shot every year, they do help.
    The Elderly are hit real hard, I transported about 10 of them in 3 days to the hospital. The Wife and I both have a cold. She had hernia surgery 2 weeks ago. So She's not real happy about coughing! Went to the drug store this morning and all the house brand stuff is bought out for colds & flu. The high dollar stuff seems to work better anyway.
  19. LwnmwrMan22

I'm pretty much over it now, the back is still aching. About 24 hours.

The 5 year old is still running a slight temp (99.5) and won't eat, but we've been forcing the popsicles / crackers down.

Only plowed 5 times all year, nothing since the middle of Jan.

Just thought I'd remind all you guys about everyone was acting back in November / December / January, before the lakes finally kicked you all some snow......
  20. lakesregionscap

lakesregionscap Junior Member

Thursday 2AM
    Got an early start in case equipment acts up: two Honda commercial walkbehinds 13/42 and 18/42 on a trailer, 26 residental driveways, 12in packed snow...should take about 5-6 hours tops.
    Gas up at the 24hr station, start the machines; we transport them running so the recoils, linkages and throttles don't freeze (or at least freeze in the running position).

2:30 AM
    First driveway: the 18 isn't running. Husband take the 13 and digs in - temps in the teens with a very stiff bitter wind. I find by flashlight that the carb froze on the 18, and approx 3 gallons of gas pissed through it - peachy!... De-ice it, clean it up (kinda), get it fired up and trade machines with half frozen hubby. Take the 13 arouind to the oil fill - one the way back it starts to revs like a motorcycle on Bike Weekend in Weirs... Stop in front of truck headlights, where it revs some more, then backfires and dies - will not restart. Husband's quick inspection finds a broken rocker arm...Haul dead body onto trailer, head for next driveway.
    18 starts freezing up again (bogs down, runs rough, blows black smoke and eventually craps out) Thaw it, beg and plead, restart (hard). Proceed.

6 AM
    Retreat to house to call in extra shovel guy and plow truck, and try to thaw/restart 18hp blower one more time. Our customers are a niche market and pay more to be snowblown, they do not like plowing and/or their driveways are hard to plow - not a good picture. However they like being snowed in even less...

7 AM I'm guiding our friend with his plow, hand shoveling behind him - Husband is fighting with nearly dead blower and keeping the other two guys moving.

13 hours in all: 11 drives plowed, 1 snowblown, 6 half shoveled-half blown and 6 non residents left for the next day. By the time the plow and shovelers are paid we made $5/hr between the two of us. Oh, yeah - and husband got frostbite on 2 fingers...

I think next winter we'll go see my sister-in-law in Tennessee - November through March!