1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SO, how to approach this??? Suggestions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by buckwheat_la, Oct 18, 2012.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

So I was informed this morning that a National (who we have a very good relationship with) was not awarded a contract that they have carried for many years, and that we have done for many years.

A little about the contract itself
    -they have numerous sites that we service in about a 100mile radius of the city I am based in
    -last year the trigger for sidewalks was 1inch (2cm) and for drive areas was 6inch (15cm) which was fine.
    -this year they went with a 6inch (15cm) trigger on WALKS which are all based in communities with extensively used sidewalks, including a couple sites in a downtown city
    -the national company told the contract that a 6inch trigger was rediculous
    -this contract has done this before and came back to the National and expected them (and me) to clean up the mess

The question is when this all falls flat on its face, as I suspect it is going to, do I bother with them anymore? If they really do try to work a 6 inch trigger on sidewalks do I phone the city and complain just to be a PITA? I could be very miserable about this entire thing if I wanted to be, the question is SHOULD I be?

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

If they are private sidewalks, does the municipality have any recourse?

I would voice your concern to the customer (assuming this is not through a National anymore?) and let them know you'll be there to help clean up but once in to the season, prices go up and they are putting safety in to question.

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

If they're trying for a 6" on walks and currently hold a 6" on the lots then it sounds to be like they're overall not worth dealing with. I would try to replace them with someone willing to pay for and allow quality service.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

6" on anything pavement or walks I would not even consider.

4 or 5 storms of 2" and less when it is then 6" hard pack should be real fun to deal with.
    If these are city/public walks I would seriously voice my concern as a tax payer to the city.

If they are privet walks and I was bored i may take a walk down them then let them know your lawyer would be calling about the many times you fell on yer azz.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Times your old service price 1" by 6. They pay more and you sleep in...

6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I would have to agree with that a 6" trigger? That seems a little crazy to me by the time you have 6" down you are so far behind the storm. for a 6" trigger I would raise my price x3. That will make them want a 2" trigger. :salute:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I should clarify a couple things. These are public sidewalks which is why a 6 inch trigger is so ludicrous. I flat out refused to do a 6 inch trigger (many of the other contractors did as well), the National I do work for knew that and agreed with it, which may be part of the reason they lost the contract. Keep in mind we are talking about a national contract with approximately 1000+ sites in Alberta alone. I have already replaced these contracts lost with 3 new condos today, so I don't particularly care, but I am looking forward to seeing the train wreck that is about to happen with this contract...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  8. 03Duramax

03Duramax Junior Member

I agree with everyone else, 6" is rediculous, like everyone says by the time 6 " fell your way behind, not to mention your beating up your equipment especially if its wet, Also if your contract is per time for the walks you could be losing out bc how often do you get 6"?

9. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I agree with most of what has already been said 6" is crazy. But my business mind wanders over to, how many 6" plus snowfalls does your area receive in an average year? In my area its between 2-3 per winter. That being said offer them a seasonal rate and refuse to show up at anything under a 6" snowfall period reminding them of the contract they wanted. Plow a few times a winter and collect the $$$. Not saying this is right but if life hands you lemons?

10. snoboss

snoboss Member

Run Forest Run!!!