1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So how many seasons did this HOA keep them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Mar 8, 2009.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

All I can say is WTF are they thinking. Pushing snow into trees and shrubs? I can see a chip or two out of the concrete during a season but wow.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would bet! That is alot of damage in 1 season.
  4. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I don't get.
    Flimsy landscape lighting and shrubs by the garage etc including curb stops which are clearly not contained by rebar are going to get pushed around. heck I bet they would have gotten sued for not having complete snow reomoval from the concrete.
    So take your pick.
    I could definantly replace a shrub as compared to a slip and fall.
  5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

It doesn't matter what the landscaping is made up of. The clear fact here is the contractor did a crappy job.

We all plow acounts that have thier special quirks. Its how we as contractors handle them that sets us all apart from one another.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Did farmerkev finally get a plow??....j/k kev.....lol
  7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have to say Some of that is normal and can be cause by the temps and not really something that can be helped (turf damage). Now I know you can mark it really well and lift up the blade before the grass but some will happen. Pushing up against the tree looked a little too far but again I don't know what the lot looks like. Those curbs that are free standing heck those go for a ride every winter and is a joke to make a point they are 250lbs. Do I think the company was careless and wasn't charging enough to take there time, yup sure do. About time someone got what they paid for.
    Oh and those curbs were pretty banged out for just one season, those are some pretty hard hits.
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Looks to me like the person who made the website has way too much time on their hands.
  9. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

im just tryin to figure out why they were driving around in circles on that one lawn :dizzy:
  10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

The pic with the standing water. Thats a grading issue, not a careless landscaper doing damage.
    I fix that stuff all summer long. Great business.

11. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

HOA's are the worst- LOTS of people with WAY too much time on their hands.
  12. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Was this website made by the dude that lost the account??? Not quite what I'd call "honorable" myself. Poor service quality is a matter for the B.O.D. to deal with. Ya sure, it sure looks like these guys do poor work but if it was u would u want someone setting up a website displaying it?:mad:
  13. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I think the website is by a board member, The Doctor. He is a board member but the disclaimer allows him to not make the board liable.
  14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

15. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Sloppy work is sloppy work, but who ever made that slanderous website should be sued for defamation of character!

Holly cow, looking at the pics I would have taken the property owners side against the contractor but after seeing that entire web of hate I would have to just chalk them up as a sh!tty client and soak them for all they are worth...we all have sh!tty clients and this one seems like they are a bad one...

Some of the damage looks like it was due to operator error, but not all. The grading, curb stops, and some of the shrub damage is explainable...
  16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Far as I can tell that website was made by a "retired attorny" that is mad he doesnt live in the land of Oz.

The inside corner looks like a semi cut the corner sharp. The wet marks on the grass..well it can happen if you have a really wet season and it "has" to be mowed. Sometimes the board tells the mower "its been 2 weeks, i dont care if the ground is wet, cut it" and they do as they are told.

the tree and light damage, well thats terrible. But who knows, there might be 150 houses there, and that might be all the damage for the yr, if so, then its not too bad. (but still looks terrible)

The moved curbing--- move it back, happens every yr if it doesnt get moved before it snows.

I say its part PITA resident, and part sloppy work. Hard to know everything with only one side of the story.
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

These guys are down the street pretty much from me. Off 120. Anyone in 60050 or around here knows of them. They use their summer guys to plow in company trucks. In my opinion they really are that sloppy. That HOA has plenty of places to push snow and if they wanted it in unused parking spots it would be just as easy.

Part of the problem may be how many of their drivers understand English at all. They use the cheapest help. They lowball prices just to keep the trucks rolling in the winter.
    Any lot I have seen them on or drive done has been pretty poor quality.

But again. You get what you pay for.

BTW I believe part of the problem with the standing water is they did most if not all of the landscaping and final grading in that HOA. The houses have had standing water issues even during construction.

That place wont pay what it really takes as far as time and that company lowballs. Ad the 2 together and you see the final results. :dizzy:
  18. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Most of the damage that I saw was normal. The parking stops, that could be one of my sites, we know there not fixed in place so push them into the lawn. Were the trees actually damaged ? I got a call from a site earlier this season were we had done that (site snow piling is VERY limited) "we uprooted his shrubs" once it melted I went & looked there was NO damage.
    How much snow does this area get ? Some damage is normal, especiall if the ground doesn't freeze before plowing occurs.
  19. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Alot of what was shown is typical damage, and you can bet by the mission Mr HO is on that was the worst of it.

Could they have done better? Of course they could have.

Were they given an opportunity to do the right thing and repair these damages once the winter was over? Not from the looks of these pics. Looks like an "on-line" execution if you will, very slanderous.

Showing un-secured parking blocks pushed around, snow pushed on a few lower tree branches, poor drainage areas (with dirty tire marks on the turf) as a crux for argument is a sign this resident has little more to do than sit back and complain.

If he really cared he would volunteer his time and energy to the board and get involved that way, as opposed to his bellyaching for all to see.
  20. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Not to mention who even knows when this company got the contract? What if they got it AFTER the first snow and were unable to properly mark the property? "Blind" plowing isn't easy.