1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So heres the deal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Keith 6RR, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Keith 6RR

Keith 6RR Junior Member
    from Skokie

Alright so heres my plan, experience, and questions..

I've been working at a large car dealer for the last 2 years and have had 3 winters there. My position over there is "Inventory" which is pretty much a nice way of putting store *****.. or for lack of a better word.. store support.. anyway they've trained me well with plowing in 2 different types of trucks. One being an 01 Dodge Dakota with a V8 and a joystick control (that halls ass btw) with a salt spreader.. and 1 being a bigger truck (Chevy Silverado) with an 8 1/2' plow and a hand held western control. for the last few years during winter season, i've been clearing and salting our customer lot and sales lot religiously every time it snows, i can handle the whole lot by myself.. i'd like to say i have great experience driving and moving snow in a timely manner by leaking snow from the sides as little as possible, and salting efficiently.

My plan for next winter was to grab a pick up truck and plow and gather all my new clientele in the summer and do my own little driveway gigs for the first year (charging slightly under the local competition).

In fact, just yesterday i picked up a BEAUTY gorgeous truck. its a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. put the warrenty on it, and paid the extra 300 dollers for commercial coverage this way when something breaks.. they can't say its because i had a plow on it.

Question is, I notice a big percentage of the current plowers are using Chevy's and Fords or OLDER Rams.. Is there something wrong with the one i've purchased? Also, Western Plow recommends i use a 400 ballast (what exactly is that? i've been trying to get examples (pictures) but all i can assume is obviously weight to the rear end..

the truck came with 20" Wheels other, then changing out the tires would you recommend smaller wheels?

Didn't mean to overload you with the questions and a LONG ass post.. but appreciate the feedback! Thanks a lot!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Ballast is weight used BEHIND the rear axle...up against the rear tailgate.

My buddy has that same exact truck..04 with a hemi....He slapped a Sno-way 29 series on it with 660# ballast, and It plows real nice...here's the problem.

-Front suspension is real soft..
    -It has 20" rims
    -It's a half ton and is very easy to exceed the weight restrictions (GVWR, GAWR)

But don't let anyone tell you, you can't plow with that truck...just get the right plow, ballast, timbrens, and just don't drive like a punk and you'll be raking it in...

Oh and by the way...he plows commercial.

I will try to upload a little clip of his truck plowing.
  3. MileHigh

Here are some pics and stuff...hopefully this gets you pumped and you go get a plow for it.
    The pics are from before he got wings on his snoway.
    The clip was shot from inside my f250 helping out on one of his accounts during the start of one storm.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dkvjmTrRUCA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dkvjmTrRUCA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. MileHigh

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

One word of advice on charging less than the competition - don't. You will only get to be known as "the cheap guy". Then you will lose those customers the next year as you try to bring prices up to where they should be. Start out charging a fair price and getting customers that you can keep from year to year. As you go along, you will weed out some for various reasons. By charging an equivalent to the "going rate", you should get your "share" of available customers.
  6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

It doesn't matter what you use to get the job done as long as you get it done correctly . I'm a ford guy . I drive a Chevy so what it looks nice. It plows the same as a Ford, Dodge, Toyota and what ever . So no your Dodge is a great truck to plow as with the same for all others .

Is write don't do that low-ball thing.

all you'll do is work for free as long as you have those drives . I can say I messed up on a bid (didn't see the back lot ) signed the bid plowed for next to nothing than the next year fixed it and losted the account .
  7. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Dodge Rams are great trucks. As mentioned the fact you have 20s is the only thing about the Rams, as finding a good Plowing tire in that size gets challenging.

Other then that, it depends on what you are plowing to make sure you get the right plow. I'm a fan of Sno-Way, and as you can tell from my profile, I'm also a Dodge Dakota guy.

I say you have two options... If you plan on doing lots that might have parking spaces inbetween or residential, then you have to go with something around 7'6" - 8'. Most parking spaces are 9' wide. I do hotels, so I will always have cars in the way and have to plow as much as possible and between parking spaces. Dealership lots are somewhat similar, but all there cars are to one side. Shopping Centers are usually pretty open, so you want something as wide as possible there.

Anything past 600#s on a Ram requires exxtensively more Ballast. A Sno-way 26 7'6" with Down Pressure is about 450#s and you need about 250#s of Ballast if that. A Sno-Way 29 is going to be about 100#s more. But Ballast weight goes up by more then 100#s.

As you can see the more weight, the more wear and tear on your truck. Thats why you probably want to go the Dodge Sub Forum and see what the Ram guys have done for there research. Obivously you will find brand loyal people, but some guys keep an open mind and shop all the brands and then pick the best plow for their setup. I suggest you do the same.
  8. Keith 6RR

Keith 6RR Junior Member
    from Skokie

Sweet, great advice guys.. and Blade your boys truck is sick! you weren't playing, its pretty much identical except for the color looks real nice. deffinatly motivation. Like i said i'm gonna do it right the first time, ill do my research on plows and what not, and hopefully pick up 1 for a good deal!