1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So glad I dont live or work in the city

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AccuCon, Nov 2, 2014.

1. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Not sure where to post this but man, I feel sorry for guys having to do snow removal in places like Manhattan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ljD4CFgruI

Just throw chains on it...why not jack up the loader...Why are my streets covered in snow, why isnt it gone!!! Whats ridiculous is these people

What geniuses...Like to see how this "genius" gets out of his apartment after a snow fall...

Pretty sure the supervisor has a team of lawyers

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

3. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

That's messed up. I couldn't believe I was watching that. That guy is lucky he didn't get shot!! What a bunch of idiots. I'm surprised he didn't drop the bucket on the roof of that car also.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I don't really get what a loader is going to accomplish. Put a V-blade on it and go down the middle of the road to open it up. Imagine listening to those people all night. Heyyyaaa you breakaaa my car! :realmad:

"Like two dinosaurs fighting". Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOek4CVZ4p8

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  6. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Just like that guy last winter " gotta push the banks back" he posted it himself but he was doing what he was told, just burying cars but those 2 guys are nuts. Deliberately damaging a vehicle. Both those guys ought to lose their jobs if they haven't already. That's just common sense thrown right out the window.

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Sending loaders out in those conditions without chains on all 4 is asking for it..

8. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Saw that one too....Best line is "PHILLY DOESN'T HAVE TRUCKS LIKE THIS"!!!!! hehehehe Goin out to you CityTow ;)

I guess if you've worked snow removal in the heart of NYC you can do it anywhere....

I wonder if they ever do get shot at????

9. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

While the first video leaves some blame on the operators there, the second one just looks like tights quarters and icy conditions for a loader. People have no idea what its like to operate a large piece of equipment in tight places in terrible weather conditions. The first guys comment "Nice job genius" go on down there bud and hop in the machine and get it out yourself. Some peoples children

10. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah I love how he is all like jack it up right there and put chains on it....Clearly this guy is an expert heavy equipment operator and mechanic to come up with such brilliant solutions...

11. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Talk about high stress situation on that second video, people all yelling, yeah put them in there and it wouldn't be any better! So just curious would chains on those loaders really stop those guys from getting stuck and sliding sideways?

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

Good stud chains, yes, absolutely. They become unstoppable. Put the bucket down, and drive. The snow would just ball up and fall off the side.

13. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Right but what is it doing to the pavement below, what about the wear rate on said chains operating on pavement and concrete...NYC sanitation probably has taken that into account...

Insurance claims on some parked cars probably is less costly then maintenance caused by chaining the wheel loaders...

I say that because I noticed the sanitation trucks have chains on...

~edit

Wow now this is some serious snow removal operation-DSNY

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/html/snow_plans_mapping/snowplans.shtml

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yeah, that is pretty cool to see it all broken down by # of trucks, plows, loaders to a area. Especially cool to see how long it's been since a plow has been on your street based on gps or when he might show up.

15. Buswell Forest

from NH

Them chains won't hurt the roads unless they spin. I run my 30,000 pound skidder right down asphalt roads as long as it isn't too warm out. And my chains are far more aggressive than any chains for those loaders. They leave scuff marks, but after a week you can't tell it happened.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  16. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

you run your chains all the time or just in bad events?

17. Buswell Forest

from NH

I run chains on my logging skidder, the one in my avatar. It is helpless without them.