1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So glad I bought a plow - NOT

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by bschurr, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bschurr

bschurr Member

Hey guys -
    This past fall I picked up a complete Fisher set up for my 97 TJ and since then it snowed a total of 8 inches during 2 storms all winter in northern NJ! Seems like a big waste of $ but hey, there's always next year. Fortunately, I am not a commercial plower and just bought the set up for my personal use.

I am thankful for all of the great information on this site and all of the input from the members here! Great site!

2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I bet there was a whole lot of that this year.

Last year we were hit HARD in NY, 12 storms IIRC. This year we had one 4" snowfall, followed by a warm day.

I can imagine all the stories of how much so-and-so made plowing the year before and all the best-case-senario math going through peoples heads about return on equipment.

3. bschurr

bschurr Member

^ Absolutely.

Next I am gonna invest in a natural gas stand-by generator for my home to ensure that PSE&G never drops power :laughing:

4. greg8872

greg8872 Member

How about going and buying an electric car so the gas prices will drop for the rest of us if is your luck causing things... LOL

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

My standby unit ran for 5 days last year due to the hurricane. :D

6. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Waiting for all the used equipment to start hitting the market...:)

7. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Fixed. :jester:

BTW, hello fellow Long Islander.

8. bschurr

bschurr Member

HAW! GM is idling their production of the Chevy Volt - they can't give that thing away!!

9. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

:laughing: A $50k sticker price might have something to do with the slightly lackluster sales.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You can buy a whole new plow truck for that. Why buy a little hippie car that you can't do jack with? I don't have a problem with being Eco friendly but when the automotive industry gets serious about it maybe something will change. $50k for an electric car isn't serious in my opinion, its ridiculous.

11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The world according to Peteo 1

Thankfully not ever body wants or needs a PU. so why get something that gets 11 MPG ALL YEAR LONG to only need it 2 or 3 times a year. Cheaper to pay for delivery service.

How many customers would you loose if all your customers had PU trucks.

If I commuted to work an electric car sounds good to me.

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

The world according to the plowmeister. You obviously missed the whole point.....again.

13. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

HubJeep,

Plow might seem like a waste of money now, but a plow is a long-term investment. Wait until you get dumped on with 10" next year and a 2 day blast of wind and you clean your driveway off in minutes, rather than hours. Suddenly it'll be the BEST investment you ever made.

14. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Absolutely, but many people do not think long-term... instead buy a plow expecting instant payback.

15. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

BTW, do you have any pictures of your setup?

16. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

17. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Well that looks like a really nice setup. Not too heavy, blade won't rust, should be easy on the Jeep front end. Nice work!

18. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

That Jeep to the left ( in your link ) looks like my kind of toy!!!!!

19. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member