1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So get this

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rc2505, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I was asked to bid on a 15 acre property this year. The contract stated zero tolerance. All the bid information was accurate, but I went in and spent a few hours one day walking and measuring everything. I put all my number together, and submitted my pricing 3 weeks ago. I get the phone call yesterday saying that although I was the low bidder on the property, and I was the only bidder offering exactly what the spec called for, they have decided to go with a minority owned company to plow and salt for them. I jumpped on the phone and started calling everyone I could think of in the business, and there isn't a locally owned plow company here that is minority owned. The only one anyone can think of is a woman that owns two pick-up trucks. I am pretty sure it isn't her do to the fact that I was going to have 4 pieces of equipment and 3 full time sholvers on site during every event. I am ammazed. If they would have just told me that minority owned would take prefference I would have submitted the bid in my wifes bussiness and just subbed the work to myself anyhow.
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I thought they have to specify if they give a preference to any minority. I know they always said for our State contracts they stated this but always went to the lowest bidder. Any way you look at it, it's B.S. To me thats reverse discrimination.
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Government, yes, private industry can do as they please...

Brian hit the nail on the head- reverse discrimination. Minorities and women want to be treated equally unless it gives them a leg up, then they'll take it and be different because it benefits them.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If they are doing any type of govt work then I think they have to chose one. Plus I think there is some type of kick back for picking one.
  5. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I didn't think private industry got anything in return for using minorities
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know what the issue is, I just know that I was the lowest bidder, and I was the only contractor that met all of their bid specs. This is a private manufacturing company that has zero ties to anything government that I am aware of at least.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

You say there a privately held company so they can pretty much pick and choose who they want. NOw if it was a government contract they have to state in the bid package that preference will be given to a minority, I have bid on some government work that stated that a minority bid could be up to 10% more than mine and they would still get the bid, now I am not saying its right but I am just telling you what I have seen. In your particular situation I would say that someone at that place is either related to or a buddy with their new snow removal contractor. You will know all of this in the near future.

9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

so who do you think it was if there are no minority owned comapnies?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Thats what I was thinking.
  11. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

Depending on the size of the company they may not be meeting there Equal opportunity Employment requirements and are using the subcontractor to regain compliance.
  12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure there is more then one company out there saying the wife owns the business when its really the husband who runs most of it
  13. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

I hate that term!!!!

There is discrimination,and theres discrimination....look it up man.......There is no reverse,except in your truck:realmad:
  14. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

You said manufacturing.....that could be union also and then anything is fair game as there is no laws for unions. AND I guarantee a kickback is in order for a union job.
  15. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

they stole yer yob lol

This sounds grimey.