1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So get this...(LOW BALLER)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

So I just got a phone call from a hotel that we have done for years. The hotel is a large chain and the lot is just over 40k sf. He tells me they got a lower bid from another company. I said ok, then he saks if I would like to lower my prices. I said what are you thinking, he says I have a quote to plow it for $45 and salting is $29. :laughing:

I laughed and said I couldnt touch those numbers. I told him that with the size of the lot $29 wouldnt pay for the salt. Before hanging up I told him that when it didnt work out this season with the new company to give us a call back.

Normally I would be pissed, but with those kind of numbers I think its funny.

Now, did I get low balled or what? Thumbs Up
  2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Without knowing what you plowed and salted the lot for, I'm going to say yes you did get lowballed!
  3. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Holy shiat.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's pretty much my thoughts anymore. I just have to laugh and shrug it off. Most of the time, I get a look from the manager/owner like "are you going to drop your price then" and then they seemed a bit shocked that I just say, good luck, call me if there is any issues.

Sometimes I just wonder if they are fishing for lower prices and I don't want to give them the satisfaction.

5. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Getting low balled sucks but is it not the nature of this business? I am taking ex bosses summer clients due to better service, but also somewhat lower prices. How is this wrong? Would any of us pay a higher price for a product that we could locate elsewhere cheaper? Do any of us pay what a car dealer suggests for a new truck? Or do we all haggle?

I have been told my residential prices are somewhat on the high side. Have signed back 100% of 2010 clients. Why? Have also lost new clients to low ballers who show up with a beat up truck and 3-4 shovellers. Takes these guys longer and a worse job is done. Nature of this business. Everyone wants to save money, us, clients....
  6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Should have made a statement " And you got a copy of his insurance policy"
  7. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

So Clapper is taking your work???!!!! LOL!!! JK!!!!:laughing:
    Ya there is a bunch of that going around. I think some people are trying to get the words snow and free, to mean the same thing! LOL:nod: and this guy but the money leaving his hand with a frown on his facepayup
  8. Accurate Lawn

Accurate Lawn Junior Member

Hey that was my bid!!....What do you mean that was too low?

Lol it would cost more than that do drive there.
  9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

No Mike it wasnt Clapper :laughing:. Are you enjoying this lovely weather we are having?

I am not worried about loosing this place, as I have picked up more than enough work to replace it. It's kinda funny, I have never lost work to these clowns (I know who got the work) but have picked up a ton of their customers over the years. Just a matter of time till we get them back. They are known for half a$$ing everything..........but hey they work cheap Thumbs Up

Good luck to all this season. Bossman
  10. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I think just the nature of the world today. Especially commercial accounts. I stay super friendly and follow up with a letter thanking them for their past business and include the current pricing and if needed on call pricing during the season. I do this with all bids. A 25% increase does catch some managers attention. Some managers have been around long enough to know that when there's a foot of snow on the ground and customers complaining-they better have a back up plan!
  11. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

No the hotel got low balled.

The hotel was trying to tea bag you.
  12. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I can't believe it either. Drove around after a couple inches fell and only two or three lots are salted, because companies are cutting their snow budgets to the bone, and beyond. Got a feelin its going to be a big "slip and fall" year.
  13. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

:laughing: Haha! That was great. Thanks, I needed a good laugh after battling this cold for the last week.
  14. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's nearly as bad as the yahoo who bid on a church I went against. The church is 4 acres plus two houses it owns and some dummy bid it at $40 per acre. (It's a tricky lot too lots of obstacles). And he's doing the drives for "free". He's salting it for $100 a ton. We are experiencing contractors "working for wages" and not for profit.
  15. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

yes you did, oh and by the way when this guy falls flat on his face and your customer calls you back give it to him hard and you know what i mean no mercy! I have seen this too many times.:realmad:
  16. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Last week was nice, it allowed me to get all my the dirt work/finish grades done for the season!payup Getting fired up for winter now! Ya let the clowns work for free, im not and we know your not!!!! Crazy how cheap stuff is going for! Good luck this season:salute:
  17. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

You didnt get lowballed but that hotel just got screwed over =D
  18. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have done a local business since it opened & got a call that they were taking bids from a large local company. I get called back & they say that the large company got the bid for alll the stores in the Indy area. I told them that I have worked for the large company in the past & they were good to work for but to watch out on the salting. Their closest salt barn is 30-45 minute drive in good weather. I babysat this property & was commended for how good it looked after the ice storm last year. The kicker was when the maintenance supervisor ask if I would be available if they did not live up to what he wanted. I laughed & said that he couls call & I would do what I could.
  19. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Nature of the business hopefully these cockroaches have a breakdown
  20. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

these type of folks come and go in my area. The only thing we do is laugh when we get the rfp the next year.