1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So far this month the weather man has...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by riverwalkland, Feb 13, 2008.

1. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

Predicted 1-3in.... result 14-16.5in

Predicted 4-8in.... result less than 1 in

Predicted 6-10,then upped to 8-12... result... 2.5in

Do they just shower and dress homeless guys and have them point at a map and make up numbers? :dizzy:
  2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Remarkable that you and I are as close as we are yet I find my weather to be remarkably accurate.
  3. ECS

ECS Senior Member

They are about 50/50 here this year. When calling for amounts here, it is generally what the mountains are going to get. In past years, they were just about right on the money for the valley, this year about 50% they are on the money.
  4. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I get so frustrated by the weathermen. I get all ready for big snow, and we get dustings. Its ridiculous. They aren't even close with it anymore. I know you can't be spot on, but come on...it's your job. I don't plow half my accounts, call it good enough and keep my job....
  5. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

Add my name to the list of disgusted people. Here in Western Connecticut the "weather folks" coudn't get the sun coming up in the east correct. You might as well be blindfolded and use a dartboard. I can't figure it out (neither can they) but it would seen that thier forecasts are less and less accurate.
    Makes plowing just a little more stressfull.:realmad:

Wish I could find an accurate weather service.....
  6. 207

207 Junior Member

I was watching our local weather guru and for one of our last storms he says "and folks, don't even ask me to make a prediction on how much snow we're going to get. It's too hard of a storm to predict". I couldn't believe it.

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Add minnesota to the list the last two mondays they predicted 2-4 inches each time. The first time we got half an inch the last time we got flurries. I wish i could have a job where i am right 20% of the time.:angry::angry:
  8. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I love it, this thread has people from every region of the country. I also feel like the predictions have been worse than usual this year. In the Detroit area we have had several predictions for 2-4 and maybe get a dusting. Then yesterday they were calling for a dusting and we got 6 inches! :dizzy:
  9. CleanCutProLawn

CleanCutProLawn Junior Member

They are at about a 70% level here once they are two days out from a storm. They are a huge miss on temps though, more than half of the time they are 10 or more degrees off. But we have the new fancy nancy Doppler HD somethin somethin somethin. I guess the weather persons have to have there toys too.
  10. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Your weathermen all get their info from Chinese weatherman Wong Ginn;)
  11. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

What REALLY pisses me off even more than the inaccuracy is the fact that these bozo's get paid a ton of money, and when the "prediction" isn't what was promised - they blame mother nature. Try being that wrong, that many times at your job and then guess how long you'll last. I think there should be some regulation enacted that bases there salary on there accuracy ratings.......There would be a new addition to the homeless, hungry, hobo's! :realmad:
    No wait - isnt that a kids toy LOL :waving:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  12. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

That's why they are called "weather" people. They don't know weather it's gonna snow or weather it's gonna rain! :dizzy: I know the second weather should be spelled wether. But it's a joke.:rolleyes:
  13. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

hell man i havent trusted them for years. 2-3 years ago. we were watching the news trying to findout how much longer it was gonna last. they said durring the storm they are expecting 5-7 inches. we were sitting there like WTF it was 10 inches deep 4 hrs ago and by the end of the storm we had 28 inches. they are ********. and if anyone here is related to a weather man please throw them into a snowbank.
  14. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

I usually do pretty good looking up their dopplers online and making predictions myself.
  15. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Years ago, Earl Finkle meteorologist of WOWO 1190 Radio Ft. Wayne, IN had the most accurate forecasts around. He had 10 Indian Chiefs in TeePees in his back yard. Every morning, Earl would ask how many thought it was going to rain or snow. If 4 of them held up their hands.... it was a 40% chance. Beat the radar every time;):D
  16. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Our weather man has actually been very acurate this year as far as if its gonna snow or not. Ya if they say its gonna start around 3 pm and it starts at noon instead thats no big deal but it does bother me when they say 8 inches and the front stalls and we get 14!!!
    It just messes w/ your "psych". Your prepared to be out for so long and it ends up to be wayyy longer kinda throws things off.
  17. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I here ya. Last night forecast - 5 - 7 inches of snow and 30 - 40 mph winds. Get up - llok out, nothing reap 10 tens - should of just stayed up - would of felt better. Finally around noon - we get maybe an inch but the wind was wicked. That inch made some awesome drifts that had to be taken care off. So where the 5-7 went - somewhere North of me I guess. Funny though - cuz all the schools cancelled last night and really, sun was shining all day - just cold!
  18. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Hay, you gotta love Joe. I just about fell out of my chair when he said that! My favorite is when he tells us the computer models can't agree on a track. I say fire the models and hire a meteorologist!!!