1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So basically they're all telling me I can't put a plow on it

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by JustJeff, Oct 9, 2009.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I've checked most all of the manufacturer's sites and I don't think I've seen a single one that tells me that I can put a larger plow (larger than 7'6") on any truck 3/4 ton or 1 ton if I've got a diesel and a crew/megacab. How are all of you doing it that have them? Just doesn't make sense. They need to make front axles that are rated for the weight of a full size plow. I've been looking at getting a 1 or 2 year old Dodge Megacab diesel and putting a power plow or speedwing on it, or possibly a wideout, and both sites are telling me that I can't do it.
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

You have to find an installer thats willing to do it or youll have to install it yourself.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Mega cab weighes 1K more then a regular cab. the diesel adds even more. there is more to it then just the FGAWR. If you want a dealer installed wideout or Speedwing you are out of luck. you can either install it yourself or try

4. azandy

azandy Member

For GM trucks, a CC diesel 3/4 ton will not happen. However we put our own plows on and the 04 truck we had held an 8'2" Boss just fine. I was looking at possibly buying a Ford truck and I called the plow dealer. He said I could put almost any plow made on a Ford. I think the front axel weight rating on a Ford was around 6000 pounds verses the 4200 axel on a GM. These numbers may not be exact but you get what I'm saying anyway.
  5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

my pro plus isn't recommended on my quad cab shortbed diesel but the dealer put it on with no problems. really a 7.6 ft plow on a megacab would be useless. i wouldn't hesitate to put a 8 1/2 ft or 9 ft sraight blade, but those power plows and wideouts are kinda heavy heavy for the megacab.
  6. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

There are a ton of guys killing their suspensions with those set ups - I have the 9'2" vxt on my 2500 hemi and don't think I would feel comfortable adding the weight of the cummins to it. If I were going to plow with a ctd, it'd be on a 5500.
  7. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

I have a 2006 MegaCab 2500 that I have a Western Pro Plow on and have had no problems with it at all. I did mount it and set it all up myself - dealer wouldn't do it. I know that you should definately put a bigger plow on it than the 7'6" like I did!!! Way to narrow!! Any other questions just ask.
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Think of it this way.

You don't have to install the plow. You just have to install the push plates and the wiring harness.

Then you just have to assemble the plow in your driveway.

EASY! I bought mine in May. It was on sale. I had the whole summer to put it together, though I was so excited I did it in a weekend.
  9. captntim

captntim Member
    from Maine

What exactly are they killing?? I have a 2003 QC SB Cummins and will be looking to put an 8.5 or 9' straight blade on it. Just curious where you are getting this information? I've had to do ball joints a couple of times, but that's about it...no plow, though.
  10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The Dodge dealer near me sells new Cummins trucks with Boss XT V plows or Wester wide outs on them. Cant be too big of a deal, everyone is doing it.
  11. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

2010 trucks will come with higher GAWR to solve this plow size problem. payup
  12. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I sure hope so, most of us love our diesels, but if you don't have a strong enough front axle, it defeats the purpose of even having one.
  13. nkyplowing

nkyplowing Junior Member

diesel weight

from what i have read, the sno-way 8' plow is the lightest out there? I have a 3500 6.7L dually that I need to put a plow on.
  14. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Is it under factory warranty? If not, go ahead and feel comfortable throwing something as large as a western MVP or BOSS V-XT on it. As things begin to give out, replace them with quality AFTERMARKET heavy duty components. Completely avoid OEM parts from this point on. They are absolutely junk and the aftermarket has addressed nearly all of their weaknesses.