1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So anyone plow a driveway when your going from site to site during your plow route?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RODHALL, Dec 12, 2008.

1. A not even stop

7 vote(s)
  2. B Stop but say no thanks

5 vote(s)
  3. C stop and tell them you can come back later

14 vote(s)
  4. D stop and make a quick pass up there driveway

94 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.

RODHALL Senior Member

Here is an example

Your done plowing 1234 pine rd you drive to end of pine rd turn onto Oak rd to get to your next job on redwood ave. as your going down Oak rd , you see man/women out side running /waving at you to “come here” so you stop and they offer you $XX ( a fair price) to just move the bulk of the snow out of the way…

DO YOU
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Most certainly. I'll help anyone if needed...
  3. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

I'LL help anyone, but usually not for free, since the bills don't get paid on hopes and dreams.. plus one quick driveway like that is dinner and lots of coffee
  4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

As much as I like helping people, it's not the right thing to do. It's an injustice to your existing customers who did things right by signing up and pre-paying for the service.

Where was this this guy during the sign up period? Not calling you that's for sure. Why would you give him priority over an existing good customer?

I suppose if your a small operation and are ahead in your route, no harm done. Strictly against our policy though. We tell them once we are done servicing our customer base, we will do this.....but NOT before.

If they are ok with that you take the money, finish the route and then service the add on.
    This kind of person is not around when you need them..........therefore they do not deserve special treatment over an existing customer.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

Not only that.. they only want you to get this one time and then thats it... they are the ones that wont say.....can you take care of it for the rest of the season? or can I call you next time... or no..I just need this one time, I can do it with the Quad after I get this heavy stuff out of the way.
    If they are willing to become a seasonal customer and pay now, I will make a quick pass to clear it and return for a good clean up later
    I agree my customers are always first. then return.
  6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I don't even touch the brake
  7. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Lean out the window
    tell 'em the price
    they start getting their wallet out
    driveway's done
    move on

almost that fast
  8. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

I agree these are the people who will only try to flag you down if there is alot of snow or wet heavy snow, Stuff that is too tuff for them to do. Then if you say yea ill help you out, it will cost you $xx they say, that much its only gonna take you a few minutes with that nice new truck and plow on it. I dont even touch the brakes, I WILL NOT BE SOMEONES JACKASS. I'm in bussness to make money not be mr. nice guy.
  9. heather lawn spray

85% of the time is 'Great do you want me to pay before you start?' $10 for 5 minutes and I've coffee money for the day:nod:
  10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Again, if you own the truck, are ahead in your schedule (and are independent) this is not a horrible call to make. I'm sure the "one timer" will be very grateful. If you are an employee (or a sub working on our sites) you will be fired.

Unless you're willing to stick by a thief I look at it this way, I'm not really firing someone over $20.00 - $30.00.........they just sacrificed their employment for $20.00 - $30.00.
  11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

for $10 i wouldnt do it but minimum $25 and i would , as long as it is not interfering with my route. no harm done and i get to present my quality work to another target area and hand out a few biz cards.+

i also agree with TCLA but i am not a large corp so it doesnt apply to me
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Only if I am on my way home.
    I sub to a guy and it would be stealing from him if I stopped and helped someone for my own personal gain.

I cant stand doing drives to begin with and any home owner living in a snowbelt area not prepared deserves to do a little hand work.
  13. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I will stop to help someone stuck on the road but never plow for $ until my contracts are finished.
  14. heather lawn spray

Around here we don't get dental plans and pension plans, so they get trucks and any freebee's they can nail. They also agree to be up and rolling in 25 minutes for a clean-up call out in their territory. Mostly any cash work ends up in the coffee shop fund. He who nails a 'fly-by' gets to buy the coffee. Also they are 'I got onea those at home, I'll bring it in to fix this truck'. We tend to work co-dependent are here. . . . it's pretty open ended
  15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Good for you....you're in a happy place. xysport

Around here there are no dental plans or pensions either...........you are sadly mistaking us with others.

I'm willing to bet your blind trust is costing you. tymusic
  16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Sure, but I'm extremely EXPENSIVE for a one timer.
    What good is it?
    How does it help me pay my bills, maintain my fleet and size it, etc

for example
    A regular driveway, normally $25-35 for someone on my route, we get a lot of snow and someone waves me down..."Hey can you do this for me?"

Sure, $100 payable in advance, in cash, not responsible for any damage (since I've never seen the place unplowed), sign here please.

It's only gone thru once. If they want to be a regular customer, then it's a normal (but higher price this first time). And I tell my guys, they are to call in if they see it and I'll price it. If i find out they took money on the side using my equipment and insurance, they are fired on the spot. Everything gets invoiced and reported.
  17. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I do it all the time. If I see an old person out shoveling, I don't hesitate - and for no charge. Many times, it may only be the real heavy stuff at the end of the drive after the road plows have gone by (this is the part that is appreciated the most, I believe), but many of times I do the whole drive. Afterward, many even ask how much do they owe me. I tell them they have paid me by letting me do a good deed. It does something for karma. I ask them if they have a (fert. and chem) lawn service, and I flip them a business card and tell them if they would like really nice grass this coming season, feel free to give me a call. Many do. Sometimes, I get their name and number, and ask them if it is ok if I call them in early spring...that answer is always "Sure." It just cost me pennies and a few short minutes of my time to make one heck of an impression. That saves me alot of time on my sales pitch in the spring.
  18. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

Can you do me a favor, if your ever up in north jersey when its snowing......drive past my house and hit my driveway while im out makin money, I would appreciate it greatly. lol
  19. dhadaway632

dhadaway632 Member

Are they using your trucks? I can't believe you allow that. I would imagine your employees have a list of regulars that you don't even know about that they are hitting each event. Why, because you open pandoras box. Try following one of them around some night and you may be surprised and sadly disappointed. Good luck with that.
  20. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Injuries can happen to anyone at any time- especially back injuries. A person may be fine at the start of the season, tweaked their back and can't do the next snowfall.