1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowway spreader tech help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nymustang50, Jan 14, 2008.

1. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Alright my friend has a 2 yard snoway salt sand spreader. We have a hard time starting it its a gas one. And it has electric start but its hard to start like it wont crank over under the battery's power i need like a jump pack or charge the battery right before i use it every time. Could it be the battery its a new battery but does it have to be like a deep cycle battery? or can it be any type of battery?
  2. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

I dont have a Snoway but I do have a gas vbox. My engine has an alternator built into the briggs motor that charges the battery. I can tell its charging by measuring the voltage going to the battery when its running. It measures 14 volts when the engine is running and 12 when its not. MAybe your problem is the engine isnt charging the battery.
  3. nymustang50

I just wasn't sure if maybe the battery needed to be a deep cycle not just a regular car battery.
  4. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

I use a regular car battery
  5. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I run Sno-Ways and I run regular size car batteries.
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Our spreaders also have a charging system on the engine. It sounds as if this is either not working properly, or the battery is refusing to take a charge. The battery does not need to be of deep cycle type. I would suggest either getting the battery checked out, or taking the unit to a Briggs dealer and have them take a look at things.
  7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I had a gas Snoway and sold it and bought two electric Snoways and would never go back. I have had zero problems in two years versus every night wondering what the status of the Briggs and the electronic choke was going to be. Yank the engine off and convert to electric. Cant get much more simple. I would prefer a little larger electric motor on mine though.
  8. nymustang50

Alright thanks everyone for there replys to my problem.