1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowWay Concerns

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Nielubie, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Nielubie

Nielubie Junior Member

I'm thinking about two vehicals here, I manage apartment buildings so I need something that can plow probably around 100 spaces dispersed in different locations.

First question, the snowway play, how durable are they and would you recommend them for 30+ parking space and long driveway lots? I have seen several cracked clear plows as well as ones with holes in them the size of a football. Just curious how everyone's experience is with them.

Second My dad has an '06 Ranger FX, what do you recommend to be put on his truck? I'm surely doing the down force if I do it, but what width?

Third, I myself am looking to purchase a Jeep Rubicon, maybe 0-4 years old, wondering if you recommend putting a plow on a Jeep and if it could handle jobs like that? How is the turning radius? and what to look for? Also what size snoway plows would be good?

I think that's all I have for now.. :)

2. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I own an 01 Ranger with a 22 series on it and it is awesome. Been running it for 3 years now. I have 40 or so drives and two lots I do with it.

If you go to Snoway's website you can use the plow fit chart to find out which plow will work best with your vehicles.

As for the holes in the moldboard.... If you are careful not to hit things full speed then it won't be an issue!!!

Hope this helps!!

3. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

And welcome to Plowsite!! You will find knowledgeable folks here and get loads of info to use.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Jeeps have been the chosen "tight spot" plow vehicle for ages. IMO, you'd be hard but to find a better combination then a wrangler w/ 7'6" snoway for what you are doing.

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

5. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i personally like the jeep wrangler 22 series snoway on the ranger sometimes you have to do something to the front end to give you some more ground clearence but the wrangler is great for what basher said tight spots

6. Nielubie

Nielubie Junior Member

The difficult part is the parking lots are not very even and some have pot holes so I'd be worried that the Ranger would just break off a chunck of the plow. I guess I'll have to visit a dealer and see it up close to know more about it. I'm sure once I'm done looking at it I'll buy it.. :)

Anyone know any good dealers in the Chicago area? One where they actually have a few lined up to look at and maybe even on their own trucks so I can check it out?

7. Nielubie

Nielubie Junior Member

Alright, doing some more research here.

What are the major differences between the 22 and the ST? I want to make sure that I don't have too much weight on the truck, but also want to make sure that I'm getting the best that I can for my dad.

Reading the snoway descriptions confuses me a little. We will be plowing parking lots that have between 5 spaces - 50 spaces in apartment complexes so I'm not sure which one would be the better choice.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ST was the previous model line. The 22 is the current line of small truck plows.

They both are capable units, however the 22 is improved in a number of ways.

9. Brew

Brew Member

Below is a list of Chicago area retailers. Cesar has plows pre-assembled and has an older Sno-Way plow on a Cherokee. Tim Wallace Landscape has 22's in stock but not pre-assembled. Master Hitch has 22's pre-assembled out front but are spoken for and getting scheduled for installs. Rondo's has inventory and a 22 demo on a S10 Blazer.

Keep in mind, it's tis the season and the above retailers are constantly selling and installing plows so you could call to ask when their next 22 install is scheduled for a demonstration.

Chicago Area Retailers:

Company Name: Cesar’s Equipment Company
    Address: 8770 South 78th Ave – Bridgeview, IL 60455
    Ph: 708-430-1919

Company Name: Tim Wallace Landscape Supply Co.
    Address: 1481 W. Boughton Rd. – Bolingbrook, IL 60440
    Phone: 630-759-6813

Company Name: Master Hitch
    Contacts: Tom or Jerry
    Address: 326 North Northwest Hwy – Palatine, IL 60067
    Ph: 847-358-7700

Company Name: Rondo Enterprises Truck & Trailer Sales
    Address: 1115 E. State St. (Route 64) – Sycamore, IL 60178
    Ph: 815-899-4340

Thank you,

10. Nielubie

Nielubie Junior Member

Excellent information, i knew about the list just didn't know who had what.

Cesars is actually only a few miles away from me so I'll stop over and see what they have, thank you for the info and update on the 22.

Company Name: Cesar’s Equipment Company
    Address: 8770 South 78th Ave – Bridgeview, IL 60455
    Ph: 708-430-1919

11. Nielubie

Nielubie Junior Member

Another quick question, how does the 22 perform on suburban driveways where the city plowed the streets and basically pushed a huge amount of snow/ice onto the driveway? That compacted snow on the curb, will the snoway poly hold up to that?

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The poly will work great.Push the hard pack stuff....don't ram into it... don't hit a ice chunk or anything else soild really hard. The poly may crack then.

13. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like your better off not getting the poly??? :confused:

Sometimes you might run into things under the snow you cant see.
    Ice chunk. Well its winter right? Suppose to be ice.

I just think they should make them so they dont break. Its a snowplow. It isnt made to be gentle with its made to push snow.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If it cracks lexen it dents steel.

15. bribrius

Thats what people on here keep saying. And even at that you can still plow with dented steel. Not so could when your missing a piece of your mold board.

I want to see you test it.

Get a camera so you can video. Get a ten lb. sledge hammer. hit a piece of steel the same gauge thickness of plow and hit a piece of your lexan. Post the vid when your done.

Or even better if someone comes in with broken lexan on the plow just hit the other side of it that isnt broke.
    Lets see.

I

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  16. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The lexan will hold up great, I've hit things from 2x4's to cinder blocks sure there's a couple gouges but no cracks or holes.

Seriously bribrius, take off your Fisher blinders, drive down to the nearest Snoway dealer and trade your hunk of steel for some new technology.

Who else sells an 8' stainless plow you can hang on a 1/2 ton?

17. bribrius

no point in trading in the fisher it keeps working. long as it works.

im trying to follow the plow scene so i have a idea of what to put on the next truck.
    No blinders.
    Technoloy is nice but im more interested in durable. If it goes ten or fifteen years without putting much for money in it. Once a plow goes on a truck i dont want to ever have to take the mounts off again.
    If i spent five k on a plow and it broke in the first couple years i would b*tch slap the dealer. I dont trade my trucks in every three years. if i did i wouldnt care what the plow was.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your well aware that can happen with anything...new technology or not. We have guys here with brand new plows (pick the brand of your choice) that have issues...and of course the old school stuff is more than capable of filling up the forums here as well.