1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowstorm was a dud.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nozzleman, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Well after all the hype about this storm it turned out to be a big fat dud. Yesterday at noontime the weather man said 5-9 inches for my area so I put the plow on and made arrangements to have my night shift covered at the firehouse. At 4:30 this morning I got up and there was maybe 1 inch on paved surfaces. Looks like the weather men blew this storm. Oh well, hopefully that is it for this season because today while the plow was on the truck I changed the oil in it and then dropped it off at my my buddies shop where it will sleep until next winter.
  2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

All the comotion and the storm fizzled 2 " here
  3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, storm didnt drop as much here as they were saying. They originally were saying 3-6" and then they were saying 6-9" and possibly 12" in some places. We ended up with 4.5" which I guess falls in the middle of the FIRST "guess" of 3-6". Notice I said guess, hahaha. It was weird though, the streets didnt get as much, they just got slushy, but yet driveways needed plowing. I think it couldnt stick too good even thought the temps went down cause it was too warm for too long. Either way, I didnt care cause I love plowing, but this winter was long, and I think we had and saw enough of that stuff. Plus all the snow from the blizzard melted and everything was starting to look like spring, nice and clean, and I even put some stuff down on the lawn saturday. I am always jumping for joy when winter gets here and they are talking about our first potential storm, but as winter goes on and on, Id be just as happy for it to end, hehe. Mike :)
  4. snowflake

snowflake Member

what a joke here too
    got nothing like they saided we was supose to get. got good ice storm friday nite, and some snow monday morning nothing to get excited about. got one set of plows tucked away for the summmer all ready another set gettin put to sleep this weekend

gettin ready for summmer
    :drinkup: :drinkup:
  5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

They called for 12"+ here,might have gotten 2".Plows were all the way in the back of the shop,now theres crap strung all over cause i was in such a hurry to get them out and on.They sit outside now,thats were they will stay till about june i think.
  6. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Got about 4-5 inches here in western New York. Probabbly the last plow event of the season:( oh well, i guess beggers cant be chosers :rolleyes:
  7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

12" predicted................HUH i got about 2" im still looking around for the missing 10"

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

What a joke, the weather channel the night before had the warning on the bottom of the screen,for monday,1-3" an hour,near blizzard conditions,35hp winds,blah blah blah, it was supposed to start by 8 am. The first flakes fell at noon,by 7pm we had a whopping 1"" on the grass,nothing on blacktop,and it turned to sleet around 7pm,and not nasty for 1 hr,i went out at 8 dropped some salt,was home by 930,in time to watch my bro on TV.I went out at 5am this morning, and salted where it had refroze overnight or iced up.
  9. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

The forecast for here was 3"-6", then during the event had changed to 6"-12" with all of the other bad impending things like 1-2 inches per hour etc. We got about 7" here with 5" or so accumulating on the roads & lots, so most places got 2 pushes. Would have been a lot more but changed to sleet & then rain before they thought it would, so it kept accumulations down. Heavy wet stuff, but once you pushed it off, it was black & wet, so not too slippery & not as much salt as usual needed. Which was good because none of the suppliers had any for sale. Tonight is supposed to bring a period of icing or freezing rain. I hope that happens so I can blow out the rest of the salt on hand.
  10. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

very poor forecasting on this one...
  11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok, I know the forecasts mess up most of the time. However as winter comes to an end and spring starts, there job is even harder.

The ground has warmed, up so they aren't sure if the snow will melt on contact, or if you will need 6" of accumulation on the grass to get 1" on the tar. The fact is that ground temp can change greatly from one location to the next. Many of these spring storms, also depend on over running cold fronts, and waiting to see if the cold air will be there ect. Not sure why I am taking there side, but whatever.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2003
  12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I understand Geoff,we got only 1" on parked cars and not even an 1" in the grass. They predicted 9-12" with localize areas over a foot. Blizzard conditions,and 35mph winds.All we got was a slow steady light snow fall,hardly any wind,and it was 4 hrs late to start,and they totally blew this one here.
  13. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Same here John,it was suppossed to start mid morning,then late morning,then early afternoon,then late afternoon and we did not see so much as a flurry untill after 6pm and then we got a couple inches.

I hear ya Geoff on the ground being warm and all,plays a big part in spring accumulations.
  14. Patrick Gleason

Patrick Gleason Junior Member
    from Chgo,il

dud snow storm

The storm predicted for southen Chgo. and Cook Cty, was a dud here to.We had 6"to 10" predictions and ended up with appx 3"of wet heavy snow,o well at least we got to plow made a little money. Love that white stuff makes me warm and tingley all over :D :D :D
  15. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

We had about 2 maby just 3 on paved surfaces and about 4-5 on the grass. Some lots and roads were actually plowed but I was not out. Personally I was glad to see it not ammount to anything, because my trans is not up to par:D
  16. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Yea we got about 2 inches here in philly.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i got 2 phone calls to plow on tuesday

usually i park and drop the insurance on my plowtruck but this year i forgot to cancell the insurance

this storm was found money

pres. meyer owners group:waving:
  18. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Cardoctor, Your title is President of Meyers, what does that mean?

Do you own a Meyer plow store or President of a association?:confused:
  19. wyldman

wyldman Member

They forcasted a big one for us too,but as it began to move south of us they downgraded it.Geoff is correct,it's very difficult to predict what these systems will do,and how much will actually stick.

We did get 2 inches,and some drifting,so we plowed and salted pretty much everything.This one followed the big ice storm,so it helped clean up alot of the frozen stuff still on the ground.No one complained,and a few extras bucks after a long hard winter.I'll take it. :D

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

the three musketers(mike jay arc burn)
    said i must be pres. of the meyer fan club
    because im always defending meyer snow plows
    on this site

pres. meyer owners group (mog):salute: