1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowstorm for Chicago on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snoworks, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Looks like we finally might get our first real storm of the season! Looks like it could turn into a good sized storm! I am kind of baffled how they are calling for freezing rain tonite and its 7 deg. out side. Calling for 1 to 3 inches. I think we could get 3 to 6 if it is all snow.

14 inches of snow for the season so far, with 60 hours of snowfall!!! I been out salting alot this season.

Chuck B.

2. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

Hope we see something up north near the border. It has been a long winter so far

3. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Makes me want to invest in a saltspreader, but without snow I dont have the cash to invest. AAH the endless circle of snowplowing. This storm makes me want to call in sick. If I go to work I will miss the start of it. That's ok, lately my contractor has been waiting until the end since it has all been small stuff. If he can get rid of it without calling in his subs then he gets more cash for himself.

4. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

Looks like it will leave Chicago and head straight for me in Fort Wayne, IN. Calling for 3-5IN. here. I know what you mean about calling in sick HD61CUIN. I work 1-11:30pm. I hate to do it, but... I think I'm starting to feel a little "under the weather" myself. Cough, cough, sniffle, snifflepayup

5. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

4:30 AM -- Calling for snow only North of Chicago! We might see two to five inches. Bring it on. I'm getting my salt rig ready just in case!

We will see what unfolds.

Chuck B.

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yep its going north. First time this year it hasnt gone south to KY!! Weird

Looks like just a salt event for us, significant iceing starting around noon. I've got a CADD lab until 12:30, I hope I dont miss too much. I hate unhappy customers:(

7. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Drive about 90 miles to your North East, Across the pond, we have been getting hammered the last two weeks.:D

8. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

hey guys,
    Theres about 3 inches right now here! Should get about 5inches!
    I got my 2 trucks ready to go. I Will probably start around 6:00pm
    Thanks,

Ultimate lawns and more,

9. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Only 1 1/2" here in Glenview, but I won't complain. It is still coming down at a good pace. Looks like the I88/I80 corridoor is going to get the most 4-8 inches possible.

This is what snow looks like. LOL!

Let it snow!!!!!

Chuck B.

10. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

6:45 and I am sittin on my azz waiting for it to start comming down south of 95th street. I was working earlier today and I couldnt see 10 carlenghts, but south of 95th street it is slow going. Just watching the radar, it is taking its sweet time getting here.

11. Scott Fortin

Scott Fortin Junior Member

Not much down here in the far south burbs (Bourbonnais) yet. It' doesn't look like it's gonna be as much as you guys in the city are gonna get :realmad:

Looks like I should look into that salt spreader too! Could have put that to use a little more than the plow......

Scott

12. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I will agree with that, I could have been making money for some time if I had a saltspreader

13. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

Well it is 9:10p.m. here in Springfield, Illinois and I am looking out the window here at work and there is nada! Local weather said we are supposed to get 2 inches. That would be just fine to get up and do a little pushing in the a.m.:D

14. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

We received 2" on Tuesday! Started plowing at 6:00PM and finished up at 12:00PM on Wednesday! One of my drivers called it quits and one of my trucks died as well. It was a long nite. It was fun to get some plowing time in though!

With my truck down and out, I will be needing a subcontractor!

Chuck B.

:D

15. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Snow, we need to get in touch. Do you have any accounts south of 95th street? I am not getting calls from my contractor, he has a big salt operation, but since I purchased my own truck he no longer calls me to run a salt truck or front end loader. I have one other landscaper in Alsip I worked for 2 years ago, I know he is always looking for a hand. I dont like to run all over the city, but if you have anything this way I would be glad to help.

Will
    708-415-4323 cell

16. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Got 4-5" here on Tuesday. Finally got to plow my full route. Keep it coming:)

17. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I think this will be my last year for salting. I have been pushed over the edge what with no snow to speak of. I have now decided to get rid of my salter and now just concentrate on local drives instead of commercial lots.

18. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Plow Meister - Can you explain why! I have salted over 14 times this season. The salting is keeping me in the game! You don't live to far from me, so your salting applications should be close. If not more due to the lake effect squalls!

Chuck B.

19. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I am actually in northwest Indiana. I am not quite in the snow belt and for some reason the west and northwest Chicago area has got ten times the action I have. Honestly, this has been the slowest winter I have ever had! That, and I suppose it is about time for me to slow down. I'm tired. I need to spend more time at home.

20. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Christopher

I am with ya man. The past couple winters are not worth it. I can't get a job cus they call for snow every other day, but it never snows. Makes it hard getting through the winter. Even today turned out to be a tease.

Take care
    Jay