1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowsport

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by orucco, Jun 13, 2004.

1. orucco

orucco Junior Member
    from WA

Can it be used on a gravel driveway?

2. snowsportstaff

snowsportstaff Sponsor

It can be used on a gravel driveway. The blade will just float over not dig into the gravel that way you don't lose all your gravel and you get very little in the grass (note if there are loose pebbles they may be picked up) But you do know that in the winter your gravel will pack down.

3. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

Bolts

Roxie, I have been happily plowing this week, but after the first day, i noticed one of the bolts that hold the handles on top of the plow, were sheared off. I couldnt even drill it out, so I moved the handle rearward a bit and drilled and installed a 1/4" hex-tech bolt. That was Monday. Today, the OTHER side of the same handle did the same thing. Sheared the head right off. Seems maybe the bolts are hardened. Is there something I should do so the other ones dont do that? Any other complaints about this?? Its not a problem to me, but I wouldnt want to depend on just a 1/4 incher on the center handle... Thanks, AL

4. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

voyager al, are you talking about the slide hinges that have the decal not a handle? they look like they have a grade 8 bolt. i wonder if i can drill 2 more holes behind them and tap threads into the aluminum and add 2 more bolts for more strength. will wait for roxies response 1st. 55 degrees here now would be a good time to do it. other than your bolt problem, did the blade work ok? just 2 inches of ice here last week, but no snow yet to try mine out. how did the angle interceptor work? good luck. tjw

5. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

I never bought the angle one. Its working fine. No hopping when there is a bit of snow accumulation.
    THe bolts are on 1 of the 3 handles,NOT the slides. And its only the right handle. Odd.....I do a large parking lot, at my shop. So maybe I have done more in 3 days of snow, than what a lifetime of driveways would be??Its an old gas station, and I have a parking lot on the side which parks about 10 cars, plus driveway. The front is about 150feet wide X40 feet. Overall, Im happy. Had a customer call today,he wants to buy one. Maybe I'll sell him this one and buy a SnowBear. I like the idea of power up and down...not sure the lil Tracker can handle the additional 50 pounds......

6. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

v. al, glad to hear what you call a handle wasnt a slide. still rather odd. if we ever get any snow to try mine out, i may add an atv winch like i did on my gt or a linear actuator, for next year to raise the blade. i am leary about a system with only one wireless remote, if it pukes, i would like a spare unit to verify the problem, like a remote start/keyless entry system. the snowbear sticks out what looks to be like 3 feet in front of the truck, the blade looks thin compared to the snowsport and the storage looks like a pain unless you have plenty of room. it also looks like a pain to install if you have to roll it out into the snow to install, unless you have plenty of inside space to do this. my 2 cent. tjw

7. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

yup, when ya figure that the SnowBear weighs an additional 100 pounds, and is WAY out front, my little Tracker would be tipping forward when I put on the brakes. I'm stickin with the SnowSport, and Roxie has already sent a repair kit out to me...talk about SERVICE!!!
    I'm getting 6 to 8 inches of snow here in the 'Burgh, 2 already laying...so Im going out at 3 inches and pushing some snow!!

8. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

Just got back in. We have 6 inches...I did the car lot next to me, and my lot. Pushed massive amounts of snow. The 20 inch high plow wasnt a problem. I'm AMAZED!! I would recommend this plow to anyone who wasnt going to do it commercially. Still not sure if the angled pushbar is necessary.....Strait worked fine. Just had to go back and clean up a few windrows, and I think I'd have them with the plow angled.
    I will have some pics taken later, and put them on here! AL :waving:

9. buterbn

buterbn Junior Member

I have a SnowSport Plow with angle interceptor on my Jeep Wrangler and i just have to say that thsi plow does wonders. I live in NJ and got over 2 feet of snow. PLowed it all with out a problem and some neighbors driveways too. I am so impressed with it. I will have pictures later.

10. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

still no snow in my area to try mine out, so i might have to give up and look at pictures when someone posts. tjw

11. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

finally got about 5 inches and got to try it out. angled the blade away from the grass, doesnt look like i moved too much gravel in my drive. did my mothers paved drive, added 2 eyebolts to each hole in the blade on each side of the center hole that holds the rubber part on the bottom of the blade and took 2 wratchet type tie down straps and hooked to the safety chain holes in the receiver, worked good to back drag from the garage door, removed them, turned the truck around and pushed across the street. done in less than 5 minutes. beats the heck out of freezing my azz off on the garden tractor. good product, thumbs up!

12. gonnagetem

gonnagetem Junior Member
    from Maine

I have about 600' of gravel driveway at our new house, and this thing definitely works. Just received 24" storm and plowed it out after about a foot and then again after it was all done. Prior to that we had an 11" storm and a few 5-6" storms, and have yet to have any problems with it. I wasn't sure how it would work when purchasing, but I didn't want to spend the cash on a heavy duty plow, didn't want to snow blow that much driveway, and also wanted to be able to store something away in the offseason that didn't take up too much space. So far this thing is fitting the bill for all that. It's even gotten me free beer for plowing out the neighbor.

13. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

my snow has melted along with the 2 four foot snowbanks at the end of the drive, no gravel in the yard and a minimal gravel where the snowbanks were, was able to kick the small amount with my shoe, didnt even need to get out a rake. good product. tjw.