1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowsport questions

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by tjw in kans, Nov 26, 2004.

1. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

i have several questions before purchasing the snowsport blade:
    1. will the blade go through a 12 inch snow bank at the end of the drive left by the city plow without the blade riding up and over the snowbank?
    2. will the angle option help discharge the snow to one side even with the rubber mounted on the sides of the blade?
    3.the two loops on the top of the blade that are used to hold the blade in the up position and also allow the blade to ride up and down the support frame dont look like much, but the pictures are small. are they good and sturdy and reinforced where they attach to the blade?
    4.is it safe enough to transport the blade in the up position at highway speeds without it whipping back and forth?
    5.is the back of the blade reinforced where it rides against the push support?
    sorry to be longwinded, no dealer close so i can view one, and thanks in advance for responses. tjw in kans

2. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

1. Dont know, Prolly depends on how hard it is
    2. I want to know that,too
    3the loops look welded well, and prolly are stronger steel than just re-bar type. I have one, and havent plowed yet.
    4. Havent had any problem with transporting, keep it under 55. It blocks my headlights a bit......
    5. The plow is a aluminum extrusion. Its about 3" thick. Looks like it'll hold up fine. I have pushed it back and forth on dry blacktop. Makes alot of noise, lots of vibrations from that single mounting location. I think I am going to ratchet strap one side to my tie-downs on the frame.....AL

3. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

voyager al, thanks for the quick response. keep us posted if you get a snowfall soon. we had an unusual dusting that turned into 9 inches wed. would have been a good time to try one out if i had one. this looks like a good alternative to buying an enclosed trailer to drag my garden tractor 50 miles south to plow my 90 year old father in laws drive, the 50 miles west to plow my 85 year old mothers drive, may save a fall and a broken hip. maybe medicare will help sponsor, yeah, right. anyway, i would rather be inside a warm truck cab if i have to do this. maybe roxie will enlighten us on these questions with other than "stock" answers. keep us posted after a snowfall and a good use. thanks, tjw in kans.

4. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

Hey Voyager Al..

see you made it here...

Welcome.. :drinkup:

5. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

Thanks,Vector.....now could ya get some snow to fly in our area??

6. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

Hey,TJW...I just looked. The area that backs against the uprights is reinforced with 3/16" steel, and is what the guides are welded to. I'm jonesing for snow....... Although im flying to Vegas for 4 days on Monday, so it can wait till i return. :drinkup: :drinkup:

7. snowsportstaff

snowsportstaff Sponsor

TJW in Kans

Answers:

1) yes the plow can remove side discharge snow in fron of the driveway. The only requirement is that it be plowed away within several hours. The longer this snow rests, the harder it packs and ices up, if that were to happen, one would have to loosen it with a ice chipper 1st.
    2) Yes, the rubber ends will flex enough to let the snow slide by, however they can be removed if desired.
    3) The loops you refere to are called slide hinges. They are made of 5/8 diameter steel rod, very durable.
    4) Yes the blade can be safely transported at highway speeds. There are pins that secure it to the hanger. The blade is heavy enough that wind whipping is not a factor.
    5) The slide hinge mentioned earlier also serves as the skid pad behind the blade area that slides up and down on the push supports ( the blade itself does not touch the push supports).

8. snowsportstaff

snowsportstaff Sponsor

Voyager Al

In regards to the comment about the rubber cutting edge scraping the pavement and hopping around and making noise (this is called bunny hopping). When there is no snow for the blade to move the blade will rub on the pavement due to no lubrication from the snow. When you have the snow this will not happen.

9. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

man, i wish i could ! :drinkup:

10. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

thanks to roxie for the response. tjw in kans.

11. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

ordered front hitch first

ordered and received the front mount hitch, 93-97 ford ranger, went on in less than 30 minutes, had to drill no holes, had to cut a 4 inch square out of the center of the plastic air dam for the front of the hitch to protrude, not visible unless you look below the bumper. very impressive, i figured this to be 90 percent of the battle. went ahead and ordered the snowsport blade, when i receive it, it should "plug" right into the hitch after assembly and i should be good to go. will update after receiving and a good snowfall. tjw in kans

also is there any way to post a picture on this site without going through a service?

12. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

new blade arrived, waiting on snow to try it out. tjw

13. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

Tjw

so??? Any snow yet?? I have salted the past 2 days, no more than 1/2 inch of snow laying....

14. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

voyager al, no snow since the blade arrived, weatherman guessing maybe by christmas. hope this doesnt turn out like the year i bought the blade for my garden tractor and didnt get to use it until the next year. but heck, its still early in the season. tjw

15. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

well, finally got about 2 inches here at home. I plowed and salted, no problems. Then I drove to my business about 11 miles away. 1 inch on the ground. It seemed like the plow STILL bunny-hops alot. I may lean the mount backwards a bit. Its 90 degrees to the ground, and im thinkin it may allow the plow to hop on the rubber cutting blade too much. It worked fine, but left alot more than I expected on my lot. Salt will melt whats left. All in all Im happy. AL Let it SNOW!!!!
    How about some input from Snow-Sport? AM i on the right track about the lean angle of the mount??

16. snowsportstaff

snowsportstaff Sponsor

The hop on the blade is a result of the flexing cutting edge at the bottom. We have conducted a variety of test trying to reduce or eliminate the hop, all with no noticeable improvement (including your suggestion). We found what works best is snow- more snow, 1" of snow is too little.

Les Obrigewitsch
    Technical Publications and Support
    AGRI-COVER, INC

17. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

Thanks,Les. Its not a big deal. It pushed off a bit of snow, and salt handled the rest, and it was 2 degrees this mornin. Sun helped!. Appreciate your guys input here.

18. Ark-Pro 2000

Ark-Pro 2000 Junior Member
    from midwest

Happy Holidays!!

19. snowsportstaff

snowsportstaff Sponsor

Merry Christmas to you and a Very Happy New Year!

20. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

wouldnt you know it, had the blade for a month, first time in history we had no snow in december. 68 degrees tomorrow, guess i can wax the blade like voyager al, but for decorative purposes and not to keep the snow from sticking. later, tjw.