1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowsport or not???

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by axeman468, Feb 21, 2006.

1. axeman468

axeman468 Junior Member

I am looking to purchase a 2006 jeep wrangler sport as a play vehicle. I'd like to incorporate it into the business during the winter for residential plowing/small one push driveways. Do you think a snowsport is the way to go? I'd prefer to keep the warranty on it so I'm not sure I want to go with a mountable plow. Do these snowsports really do the job??? I realize I am not looking to plow the world, just one driveway at a time!!!! Also looking at the low overhead cost.....

2. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

If you buy a snow sport, I think after one storm you will be wishing you had a power angle. Not knocking the snow sport, but they are what they are... homeowner plows made to plow.... well a home owners house. A western suburbunite or fisher homesteader would be a better choice, in my opinion.

Any way, good luck and welcome to plow site!
    Ivan

3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

A snowsport is pretty useless. First off you say your gonna do driveways. Usually you have to back drag away from the garage, how the heck ya gonna do that when the plow doesn't even go up and down by itself? Forget about it. Best would be a regular duty small plow, second would be a light duty plow(suburbanite, homesteader), and if you really wanted a snowbear would proboly work fine.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

A guy I know who owns a small parking lot had a snowsport for two storms, then got rid of it. It would not do the job, not enough weight and will only stack so high, he had no place to put the snow because he could not get in into enough of a pile. He ended up needing to use the snowsport to get the bulk of the snow into one place then use a snowblower.

For the same money, I would at least get a snowbear which is power up/down and will back drag small amounts.

If you plan on incorperating the Jeep into the bussiness as you put it, yor going to want an even "better" plow. What exactly is the business by the way? If your going to be plowing more then your own driveway, I would go with a something like the Blizzard 680 or Fisher LD 6'9" or western 6'5". I dont know about the warrenty issues with the Jeep but I see plenty of them with plows around here. The suburbanite and homesteader by western and fisher respectively are respectable homeowner plows but you would still be better off with one of the above mentioned plows in the long run.

Iam not trying to convince you to get more then you need but plowing your own driveway and plowing "a few more" are two totally separate things.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Your profile says you have a 3/4 ton pickup with a 7.5' Meyers plow so you should already know you need the right tool for the job. If you already have a plowing business, as you imply, then you already know about trying to "get by".

Get the proper equipment for the task you want to undertake.

6. michaelt1323

michaelt1323 Junior Member

Just a thought

Just a thought. last year it snowed on a saturday evening, and we got about 6-8 inches. I had bought a snowsport used from ebay in the fall to plow my shops parking lot. I used to use my 30" snowblower which isn't a lot of fun moving about 1500 square feet of snow. I used the snowsport on sunday morning and it took about 20 minutes to do the lot. no one drove over the snow so the rubber edges scraped the asphalt very nicely. I was able to pile the snow into a section of a field across the street. My neighbor had a Meyers plow and was putting his snow in the same spot. I was stacking the snow as high and deep as he was without much effort. I then drove around and was able to do a few gas stations and a couple other lots. I made a little over $2000 that afternoon with the snowsport. I found that with some practice I did not need to angle the plow, I just set myself up to plow straight. It took longer than a "real plow" to do the lots, but I was happy with the results I was getting. It snowed once more that year and I did the same thing over again and the results were the same. Lots of laughs from "real plow trucks" as they were driving by looking for work as I was busy plowing away. The plow is what you make of it. It is NOT a commercial duty plow, but you can make money with its small investment.

7. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

I agree,Michaelt. I had one on my Tracker last year, and i own a gas station lot. Pushed alot of snow, and piled it high. Power angle wasnt a concern. You CAN get an angle mount for about 200 dollars. I backed into my residential garage at night, to plow out in the AM. But this year, i bought a Ranger longbed. and with the Moultrie saltbox on the back, it wont fit in the garage, cause of the GoldWing in the back of the garage. Its a great plow if ya have the right lot/driveway. No backdragging makes for alot of shoveling near the garage doors.

8. michaelt1323

michaelt1323 Junior Member

You can find them on ebay pretty cheap. This way if you decide to get one, it won't cost as much, and you get to use it and make money.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  9. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i would say spend ur money on something that u will like...snoway or meyers at 6.5 ft thats just what i say...i have a 6.5 on my s10 a unimount western s/u and love it only thing i would change is how long it takes to hook it upto the truck lol...but other than that i love havin a somewhat real of a plow...i do about 20 driveways and 1 small lot with it...i would def go with something a little better than a snowsport

10. newctplower

newctplower Junior Member
    from ct

They seem a bit pricey for what they do.