1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowsport on Hills?

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by stock4me_98, Dec 4, 2005.

1. stock4me_98

stock4me_98 Junior Member

I'm considering a snowsport plow on my 2003 Jeep Liberty - For the same price as a blower, it looks like it would make quick work of my driveway (not a very large driveway - but lots of snow in Tahoe and I want to just drive/plow out of snow in the morning instead of blow for 25 min)

1. How does the snowsport plow work on hills? Not constant grades, but the transition from level to uphill, or more importantly, transition from level to downhill. Or even downhill to sudden uphill. All the videos only show level parking lots.

a. Will it ride high enough and not bind/catch when I start heading uphill?
    b. When starting downhill, will it still plow to the pavement surface or does a 90 degree tilt limit it's downhill usage?

2. I asked snowsport for what could be considered an approach angle limit. (no reply yet) I'm concerned about the hitch mount hanging out in front of the bumper and scraping as I transition to the uphill slope from a level/downhill start (like many non SUV cars do when they pull into my drive). Anyone have some idea or dimensions so I can figure if it will scrape?

Thanks,

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Have you considered a snowbear plow? At least then you can go up a down with the plow.

3. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

stock4me, i have one mounted on a ford ranger, the bottom of the receiver is 12 inches off the ground, the frame that inserts into the receiver is 9 inches off the ground, it also has several holes for adjustment for correct heighth per install manual. my drive is paved and uphill the first 25 feet at about 10 degrees, then sharply drops off down hill about 10 degrees into gravel for 75 feet, i have no dragging problems. the 2 outer rubber skids looks like it keeps the blade about a 1/4 inch off the ground, so it wont completely clean down to the pavement but almost, it also doesnt plow up the gravel when frozen. i only go about 2 mph and have to make 2 passes down the double wide drive. the blade will ride up over a snowbank left by a city plow, especially after it freezes up which isnt too big of a deal to me. i only got to use this twice last year. i may try plowing the road in front of the property and pushing it off in the grass at the end of the drive before the city plow comes by. bottom line, i can install the mounting frame and hang the blade and plow this small amount while being inside a warm truck, remove blade and frame and put it back in the garage in 10 minutes, beats the heck out of a snowblower or my garden tractor. in your case with mega amounts of snow, a snowblower may be more realistic because of limited space from high snow banks. just remember, it aint a bulldozer blade and you must have plenty of extra room to push the snow into. i moved to kans. from northern wisconsin, up there you would need to plow an extra blade width down the drive and be lucky to end up with a double sized drive by the end of winter. another thing to consider is city regulations if you arent out in the country, i cant push my snow out across the street into someone elses yard and leave a snowbank across the city street. sorry for the long wind, hope this helps.