1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnowSport on a ZTR mower??/

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by RickO, Dec 16, 2007.

1. RickO

RickO Junior Member
    from Ohio

Has anyone tied this. I have a commercial ZTR (It weighs around 1200lbs.) I have wanted to put chains and a blade on. I'm thinking of a snowsport.

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

IMO there is no way a ZTR would push that. How big are the plows anyway? I think you would have better luck with a 50" ATV plow. Try a Moose or something like that.

3. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Snowsport does make a smaller blade sized for ATVs.

Is your ZTR 2wd? If so, I think you will still have problems.

4. Sno & Mower Man

Sno & Mower Man Junior Member

Contrary to popular belief, a Zero Turn Radius (ZTR is Dixon's Trademark) a "Z" will outpush most every tractor of the same size, weight, and even most tractors with higher horse power.

Unfortunately even most L & G Dealers don't know this, and sadly many won't accept it.

RickO, what brand & model do you have?

5. Sno & Mower Man

Hello Rick O,
    Please find a quick reply to your snow/dozer blade question under Sno Sport.
    Sno & Mower Man

6. Sno & Mower Man

Sorry, clicked off too soon before adding this.

Reasons why Z's will outdo 2 WD L & G tractors:

1. Approximately 60% of most Z's weight is around/over the rear drive wheels vs. 40%.
    2. Dual drive vs. single. The Diff Lock arguement won't apply since it's N/A all the time, nor in turns.
    3. Power available at both wheels ALL the time.
    4. Much lower Center of Gravity.
    5. Drive is steering, and steering is driving. "Push force' isn't reduced by crabbing.

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I would have to agree. I have moved some BIG logs in place for my log splitter with my Sentar. And most Zs will do a better job because the only weight on or behind the drive wheels on my Sentar is my scrawny 160 lb azz!

8. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

My dad has a kubota z-steer that he built a plow for.He wasn,t very pleased with the result.Two reasons mostly.Where he was the low clearance of the machine was a draw back(hanging up)and secondly he found just when you had the snow rolling(with a good load on the board)you couldn,t steer because it just wanted to spin.Maybe with some tweaking it would have done the job.He gave up and mounted the blade on his 4x4 honda four wheeler instead.This worked alot better (for him anyhow)