1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowsport HD on Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by Synchman, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Synchman

Synchman Junior Member

I got the Snowsport HD plow for my Ranger. It goes in the receiver hitch. It has no power, just rides up and down on two vertical posts. The top 2/3 of the plow is aluminum, the bottom 1/3 is rubber. There is a transport position where the plow is secured to the top of the posts, which is still below the headlights. The snow pics have it in transport position. You can go 55mph with the plow in the transport position.

When you back up, the bottom of the plow pivots away from the truck, so you can back up without dragging snow (but you can't back-drag unless you put tie-down straps on the bottom of the plow).

Link to PlowSite.com discussion - See Post #11 about tie-down straps.

Only $1300 with shipping, including a front receiver for your truck.

You can get an "Angle Interceptor" to angle the blade, as shown in the first photo. The first time I plowed, I angled the blade, the second time I left it flat.

My driveway is 450 yards, steep, and gravel. And I have a 4-car wide concrete pad in front.

Only used it twice so far, but has worked well. Props to SnowSport for a nice design.

I clear out my concrete pad first, pushing it all to the back of my turn-around. I can do all of this without re-positioning the plow. I make a pass down the driveway, dropping off a pile of snow at two intermediate spots, and at the bottom. At the bottom, I put the plow in transport position and back up the driveway to make the second pass. Then back to the bottom, and finally I have to shovel the small pile at the bottom off to the side of the road.

This forum helped me make my decision, so I'm returning the favor by posting my experience.
  2. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Glad you shared your experience. I too am happy overall with the snowsport!

3. mbg75

mbg75 Junior Member

I just picked up a used snow sport. Haven't got to use it yet.

From your pics it looks like it cleaned right down to the pavement! Does it still scrape clean even after driving or backing over the snow? I know it doesn't scrape ice.
  4. Synchman

Synchman Junior Member

I don't know yet.
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

backing up it glides over snow . wont scrape
  6. Synchman

Synchman Junior Member

After driving over the snow (thus packing it down) it does not scrape clean. It leaves about 1/8" of compacted snow where the tire packed down the snow.
  7. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Hey Synchman.I am going to make a CLAMP-on metal edge that would q-tach to the rubber bottom for those times when the rubber alone won,t scrap clean enough.It will add some weight and might be harder on the grass surfaces but I would only use it the odd time its needed.I,ll post some pics of what I come up with when the bugs are worked out.Thanks
  8. Synchman

Synchman Junior Member

By the way, we had a lot of snow this season and I was really glad to have the Snowsport. I was using Rudd chains on all four tires, and I got a Detroit Locker last season.

However, when I was backing up I snagged the edge of the plow on some landscaping timbers, and bent my receiver to the side about 20 degrees. I straightened it enough to keep up with the snow, but now that we have a reprieve I'm having the receiver straightened and reinforced at Olympic 4X4.

9. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Hey Synchman I also bent the 2x2 pc that goes from the pushframe into my hitch(I admit I was going faster than I should have been)Guess if you have to have a weak point it good that its something that would be cheap to replace.I welded a steel loop on each end of the push frame(very seldom use it angled)and run a strap from it to my tow hooks.This takes a lot of stress off that center 2x2 pc.
  10. LEVE

LEVE Member

I have on on my '93 Ranger. The weight of the plow dropped the nose 2". I just finished making a cradle in the pickup-bed that holds (12) cinder blocks and (3) 18" flagstones. That weight brought the front of the plow up to normal as well as gave me more weight over the back wheels.