1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snows Flying, Just got Henderson Spreader all installed, nothing works...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by merrimacmill, Dec 21, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Hey everyone, I just finished installing my new Henderson gas spreader. It is all wired correctly, and there it sounds like nothing is getting power. The separate battery is charged, grounded to the spreader engine block, and the positive cable is connected to the starter solinoid. There is power going to the controller as well. Yet nothing works. The starter doesn't work, the electric throttle doesn't work, nothing. Any ideas on why this is happening?

One thought I had was that the plug at the back of the truck for the spreader appears that it should be mounted on to a steel plate. But instead I just have it sitting in the bed because I did not want to mount it at this time since I am considering putting on a flat bed. I was thinking that this could be a ground of some sort?

ANy help is really appriciated since its snowing out right now and we're getting held up by this thing. Thanks again guys,

Collin

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

it came pre-wired correct? in other words you didn't have to mate up the red to red, blue to blue ect wires into each plug? if you had to do the wiring double check all color wires are mated correctly in each plug..keep us posted,
    steve

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I would agree that if you wired the plugs then that would be the problem or at the controller if you wired that. After you figure out the problem, add dialetric greese to the inside of the wire connectors and tape them up. It will save you alot of headaches next year.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ok look ... start a time .. test for the solinoid trigger at the solinoid and go from there

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

does it have a pull start? jump from solenoid + to + stud on the starter. see if the wire that triggers the solenoid gets power when you push the start button on the controller.

6. merrimacmill

from MA

Well, I figured out what was wrong and fixed it and have been so busy ever since I haven't had time to write in.

Heres what happened, there is a little wire harness that goes from the controller, to 12v truck power and a ground. There is an inline fuse in the power wire for the controller. I checked if there was power to that wire, there was none. But there was power BEFORE the fuse. So I checked the continuity of the fuse and it was good. Then we checked the continuity from the end of the wire (before the fuse holder) and one half of the fuse holder, and it was good. Then we checked the other side of the fuse holder to the other end of the wire, it was good. THEN we put the fuse in the first side we checked and tested the continuity of that off the end of the fuse, and it was bad. So we looked in there, and there was some very very small defect of manufacturing in there that was causing it to not contact properly. So we took a little (sand grain size) piece of copper and dropped it in there and put the fuse over it, and it worked.

I contacted Henderson about this, and they are sending me a new wire harness for the controller with a new fuse holder.

Thanks for the help anyways though guys.

7. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

damn man u bought a spreader didnt even think about getting a new motor for that meyers lol hows she working for u and what u got her mounted on im getting a fisher poly caster on my truck

8. merrimacmill

from MA

Hey Mike, I mounted her on the 06 3500 pickup. Its working great, so much nicer than having to run a tail gate spreader all the time. I got the tail gate mainly because back then, my 06 was my one and only truck and I did not want to be driving around with a V box all the time. But it all worked out now.

9. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

awesome man glad to hear its working for u. U running sand salt mix now or just straight salt?