1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snows coming &having trouble

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by s-10racing, Jan 18, 2002.

1. s-10racing

s-10racing Junior Member
    from east

hello , went out to put plow on & went to test again &every time i lift or angle plow it shuts the truck off& bogs motor , it did not do this last week .i have new battery , alt. .these were on before this problem .it is a meyers system e-47 on a 86 f-350, snow is on its way & i am panicing , thanks for your help, matt
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Matt I just looked at the manual for that pump could not find anything like what you described .I think if you look on chucks page or email him he knows about that style pump.
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Here is a shot in the dark.

Turn off all lights, heater, radio, ect in the truck. Watch the voltage guage. Does the truck still bog down? Ok turn on the head lights, and radio, keep the heater blower off, that draws a lot of amps. Does the truck still bog down? If no there is you answer run less stuff all at once, if not go to step 2.

2. Clean all the connections to the pump and the battery cables, bad connections equals extra amp draw. Maybe enough to cause you electrical problems.

2 b. Maybe the fluid has ice in it and is causing excessive amp draw. However this is about 1 and 1 million chance.

If this doesn't solve any of it. I don't know what to tell you.

4. s-10racing

s-10racing Junior Member
    from east

thanks for your response , it acts the same way with everything off . the alt. gauge does not hardly move, i have been plowing for about 10 years & this one is new to me.
  5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

If your sure that your charging system is putting out the correct amps and voltage, and you have a fully charged battery then I would recomend that you first disconnect the positve cable from the "plow motor" and then cycle the switch to raise or angle the plow. If you still have a power draw shutting off your truck then you need to check the routing of the battery cable from the solenoid to the plow motor to see if it has worn through and is grounding out anywhere. Very possible that the plow motor has gone bad and is drawing to many amps. Connect the hydraulic hoses back together on the pump and try running the power unit left and right and have an amp draw test done on the motor. After you get it up and running again make sure that the ground to the plow motor is properly grounded to the battery, have seen many a motor fail do to poor connections and lack of current. Good luck.
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Does your plow work at all while this is happening? By what you describe, I'm guessing not, it sounds like you might have a dead short either in the relay as mentioned or in the pump motor. This would short out your ignition and cause the truck to bog/stall.
  7. s-10racing

s-10racing Junior Member
    from east

hello, it startsto move &then starts bogging out , to keep it moving i have to raise rpm's so it will not bog. thanks
  8. Rocky

Rocky Member

This happened to me last winter on my second storm too with a Meyer E-47. I never changed the fluid in it and the first storm was still kind of warm. Well, when the 2nd storm hit we were in the middle of a real cold spell and the moisture in my pump and hydraulic cylinders was frozen solid, I mean real bad it looked like a popsickle had taken up residence in my pump when I took off the filler plug. I'm betting that's what happened and everything is so frozen your pump won't do anything but choke. You'll have to get it in somewhere warm fairly quick and get it thawed, then replace all your fluids and drain your hydraulic cylinders too. This is a common problem with those Meyers because the breather is right in the top and lets moisture in. Also a main reason everybody hates them. Good luck!! If it's not that it could be your brushes in your motor are shorting out but that would mean your volt gauge would really drop when trying to activate the plow I'd think.
  9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I'm with Rocky on this one.... moisture. Happens all the time. It happened to me last year. About 45 minutes with a propane torch heating up the pump without frying the wires on the coils, and a shot cup from a Nyquil bottle full of rubbing alcohol. Got it thawed, then poured in 2 cups of the alcohol, and worked the plow up, down, left, right several times. I plowed the rest of the season that way, and drained the fluid in the spring. Never had a freeze up after adding the alcohol. :D

10. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

The same thing happens to me when I add alcohol, I don't freeze :D :D :D

Mike Nelson
  11. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Check your battery terminals also.

12. s-10racing

s-10racing Junior Member
    from east

thank you to all of you for the info , it ended up being a bad ground on back of the pump. again thank you for all your help & hopefully i can do the same for you folks someday.
  13. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Glad you got your power unit up and running. I totaly agree that you should drain and flush the power unit and angle cylinders and refill with low temp Meyer hydraulic fluid if you haven't done so already as part of your winter plow system maintance.