1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MowingisMaddnes, Mar 22, 2006.

1. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

I have a 863 Bobcat. Recently I purchased an 8 foot Pro Tech snow pusher for it. Tried to use it for the first time (6 inches of wet snow) and no go:(
    Get any real amount of snow in it and the tires would just spin...
    Please help...What am I doing wrong? I was counting on this machine...
  2. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

sounds like possibly too much down pressure on boom, not allowing full traction of front tires...possibly.

8' pusher doesn't sound too large for machine...but heavy wet snow particularly that water logged stuff is really tuff to move. Try it on some lighter stuff if all else seems functioning on machine

Plow hard

SD-Dave wesport
  3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

agreed you cant expect to clean to thee pavement all at once. Might take a few passes.
  4. westwind

westwind Member

we run 33 in. pro comp mud terrain tires on our skids in the winter. Traction seems to be greatly improved. We run a 260 2 speed and a 325 2 speed John Deere skids. Good Luck
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Look into different tires as stated. Plowbabe actually put truck tires on their SS to assist with traction. Do a search, there should be more info on tires for SS's.

Despite the owner's manual, pushers cannot be used in the float position, either. At least my subs and I have never been able to make it work.

You might also have to take smaller bites until you get used to it. Might take some practice, but you have to get a 'feel' for when you are going to break traction and try to keep yourself just below that point. As you know, once you lose traction in a SS, you're done.
  6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Do yourself a favor and spend $200 +/- and get a good heavy duty set (1 pair) of tire chains and put them on the rears and you will be amazed at what you will push with it. It will push and steer 10 time better on the two rear wheels only than it will with all four on the ground without chains.

We bought a 10 ft Protech push/pull model to use on our Bobcat as well as 410E backhoe. Got it in mid Feb. and no snow since. :cry:
  7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

The others have the right idea. One other thing to consider is the heavy snow factor. With a pushbox the sideplates eliminate a lot of spillage and even moreso with wet snow. in powder you will probably be fine even with stock tires as long as your on flat ground. Wet snow takes some patience. Sometimes half width passes might be nessacary. I have a Cat 236 and an 8ft pusher and in most cases it's fine. One more thing to remember, try to make it so you can take straight passes, once you try to turn with a skid you've lost half or close to half of your tractive effort. In wet snow, good luck getting going again with a full blade after a turn. Like anything else, a little seat time will go a long way. Good luck.
  8. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

thanks for all the replies so far...

What does everyone think about rear tire chains? My biggest customer is very picky about his concrete and asphalt and I would be worried about damage from the chains...
  9. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think that chains would be to good of an idea just for the fact that your going to be chewing it up i would think. never used them on something of that nature but even on a lawn tractor many moons ago they would tear into frozen dirt so i would imagin ashphalt pavent its about the same.
  10. Big Dog D

They are not that bad as long as you are careful about them. You need to run it like you were running the machine on a hot sunny day on newer asphalt. As long as you don't put a cowboy in there you should be fine.
  11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I got a 773G bobcat with a 8' protech. We had no problems pushing with it. Just get the machine on the rear tires. Twice as much traction. :rolleyes:
  12. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

Oh, so you put enough pressure on the ground with the pusher that it raises the front wheels off the ground?:rolleyes:
  13. Jube

Jube Member

You should start by making sure that your pusher shoes are level to the ground. If you have the shoes at a forward angle with pressure that can cause the problems you are having plus that will prematurely wear your shoes. We run our pushers in float on our cat skid steers, that way there is no down pressure that your machine is fighting. If the operator knows what he is doing he can push alot of snow be it either wet or dry.

Hope this helps,
  14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Lots of good advise here.
    The thing with tire chains is you have to be intelligent about them. IF you spin the wheels they will tear up- period. How do you solve that? Drive with them in mind- DON'T SPIN the wheels! Simple answer huh, but how do we do that? Well, low range, low gear, easy on the throttle, etc. Pay attention to the tractive effort and all is well. On a skid steer you will tear/scar some no matter what because of the nature of the beast, but it's a matter of method.
  15. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would try adjusting your pusher so you know it is set up correctly, and then put some truck tires on like others have mentioned. you need the sipes and softer rubber to get good traction on snow and ice. Especially wet stuff.
  16. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

I dont quite understand the correct setup you are explaining? Is there an explanation of it else where? webpage? diagram? My pusher came with no setup instructions:confused:

All so you said if the operator knows what he is doing he can push alot of snow. Well if you are new at using a snowpusher, how can you learn quickly what an experienced operator already knows?
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure your 'shoes' are flat\parallel to the ground. If your pusher is tilted forward, you will be trying to push it into the ground instead of over the ground.

As for the second part, you answered your own question. Due to the nature of snow removal operations, i.e. you have a limited amount of time to get 'er done, you don't have the ability to learn over an extended amount of time. You will have to learn as you go, unless you can find someone who has used one before and will help you. Other than that, it's pretty much the same thing as everything else, it takes time and patience.

For that matter, I've been plowing for over 20 years, and I still learn new\better\more efficient ways of moving snow by watching others. I don't believe it is a zero sum game, that there is a point at which you will know everything there is to know about snow removal.

I believe SIMA has a skid steer training video as well as a snow pusher video. Check out the website:

18. Big Dog D

Well said! I am from the same type of background and have the same thoughts. I have learned a tremendous amount from this site in particular in the short period of time that I have know about and participated in it.

KEITHRA Junior Member

Im useing a Case 90xt with the 15.5 tires I'm pushing this year with a 12' backhoe pusher it does it even with 2 speed. There is tire spin but i had harder time pushing 8' pusher then 12'. The 8' foot pusher i used didn't have much cup to it in rear of box and would not but weight on machine. The box now has about 12" or more i load box half way and lift but weight on front tires. The 8' pusher i couldn't fill box up and the 12' i can see the snow rolling over in box from machine. Im no expert but i think thereare some bad designs.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  20. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

would a weight kit help a SS push better?