1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplowless in alberta!

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by icebladez, Sep 5, 2005.

1. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

Hey all!..iv'e been searching now since mid august,and to find a used plow within 300kms is almost none existent!...any links/leads/advice/2cents, on my situation.

Also i'd like to plow about 20 100ft driveways this year..my truck is only a 1988 2wheel drive 1/2ton 3o5 chev..I already read ALL comments on this dumb thinking of mine, but until i get a 4x4..you think plowing the driveways immediately after each approx 4inch snowfalls with out to much "what the heck was i thinking" type thoughts would be do-able?

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Anything is possible.

Make sure you have a positraction rear end, good new snow tires, and a half-ton or so of ballast in the back. Keep a chain with you and a cellphone with a friend's phone number. Also keep a sealed bucket of rock salt and a scoop with you.

One-wheel-peel with bald tires and no weight will equal a recipe for getting buried.

I hope your driveways are level...!

Are the front of the frames the same for 2wd/4wd? You won't find a listing for a mount for your truck, so be prepared to do some custom fabbing.

Keep in mind that these people will be counting on you to do this job, so if you agree to do it then you MUST make it work somehow.

Have you considered a decent snowblower instead?

3. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

Thank-you Derekbroerse!!..i'll be sure to put all 5 items in an on truck..i'm only being a fool like this until i make enough for a 4x4..then i won't look the dumbest guy out there!..more dumness though, i have no idea about the frame thing or the differences..does any one think one plow might be a good investment for my situation?
    Also the snowblower is something i flirted with,however there are just to many cons:always having to load/unload the beast, walking in these insane temps will surly age me unnecassrily, also 200feet is so slow with their top speed and the snow blowing down my neck in the winds could cause...Shrinkage, if you get my seinfelded-ness!

Also derek..i'm not at the point of getting way over my head with contracts..i'd only go door to door and ask if they want their drivway done for a cheap fee,and that's it till next snowfly!..seems the safest & least unburdensome way of going about starting out..so far there's about 500 drivways that i counted that don't appear to have any means of digging themselves out but a $15 shovel!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Since you are obviously on a budget and only have a smallish 2wd truck and intend to only do light-duty (residential) work.... and cannot find a plow locally... have you considered the Snow Bear/ProShovel/Etc.?

Available at WalMart, Canadian Tire, etc. for around a grand... mounts are available for just about anything.

They are very lightweight because they are intended for a home owner. Manual angle, power lift. Very basic stuff, but for your intended use it will probably serve you well for a couple seasons, then you can afford a 4x4 and a commercial grade plow. That is, as long as you don't abuse it too much and bend it.

There are a lot of older discussions about these units, do a search. Most people on here tend to laugh at them a bit because they aren't really commercial quality, but there have been a bunch of people that started out that way--getting into the biz on a budget!

5. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

Excellent Derekbroerese, that's the info i was aiming for..yes i would be insanly gentle with my "cheap and laughable'" equipment.I'm aware of the old "get what you pay for thing. I would even dread having to use it a 2nd season, i would hope by then my 2wd would be an extinct item, i slap myself now for such a thoughtless purchase!...now off to can tire/walmart!!thx!

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i can get you a a truck with low miles 4x4 with plow if your intrested let me know im in ct

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When plowing driveways you always have to pull the first 20' backwards away from the garage doors. Make sure that the pile you pull back does not become large enough that you lift the front end of your truck up. It is esay enough to get a 4x4 stuck, a 2 wheel drive will be very easy.

8. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

Plowman: What price range?.. please remember my dollar is a bit pathitic compared to U.S. dollar, also i'm at an extreme low budget where even a cheapa$$ plow is a questionable new purchase for me, i wish there was a way to rent to see if this is a avenue of my dreams but i really want to give this bizz a go,as i like the idea of being able to be in a truck while pounding my tunes all day that i make on my keyboard!..yes i'd like to know more plowman!!

9. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

CET..good tip!..though with a 2wd i think i'm just going to inform the owner that i'm ONLY going to be doing his driveway and that's it,a big enough risk for the stupid concept of a 2wd truck!

10. PLOWMAN45

3500 its my friends dodge dakota auto fisher plow 4x4 it has a v6 i can get the list of options for you it was just painted by dodge it has 67k miles on it

11. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

It dam near pains my heart to have to watch this deal slip through my fingers..if it is still on in the months to come i'll be pestering you about it for sure!!..thanks Plowman!

12. PLOWMAN45

well i dont know how long i will have it i have had people look at it

13. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

A very Gratudious appreciation Plowman45!!..don't allow me don't mess up your friends deal though..tell him to sell it with gusto!!..i envy any lucky bast$$ard with a 4x4 and a plow..

14. PLOWMAN45

i will prob post it on this board give every one a fair shake at it