1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowplowing warehouse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gcl, Oct 8, 2005.

1. gcl

gcl Junior Member
    from nj

Hi guys, iwas hoping you could ghive me advise on what to charge to plow and salt 140,000 sq ft, pretty open, plenty of place to stack up the snow, with 7 loading docks?? Thanks alot.

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plowsite GCL,

Well I think that lot is about 3.21 acres. Saying that on AVERAGE an acer should take about 1 hour with one truck you are looking about three hours, plus the loading docks.

What type of truck do you have?
    How much an hour do you want to make? ( Most shoot for 125.00 in my area)
    How bad do you want/need this lot?
    Are you going to salt?

Answer some of these questions and I think we can help you out :D

- Eric

3. gcl

gcl Junior Member
    from nj

Thank you for responding so quickly. I got an F 550, I was thinking about 150/hour, and yes i'm salting. I know it's dependent on the the type of storm, but whats the average application rate and price. How about offering a whole contract pricing rather than per storm. What' do you reccommend... I would like to be aggressive and get this contract. Thanks again.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Don't know how to price but plowers around here charge for the whole season rather than per storm. Just my 2 cents.

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

An old Friend of mine....

Hello, An ole buddy of mine who has several Industrial Parks and a Hospital here in Mass charges everything out by the hour, per truck,loader etc....Then he has a seperate rate for snow removal taking into consideration hiring out for trailer dumps etc....I asked him why by the hour?He said after 25+ years it has worked out the best for him.

6. slade

slade Senior Member

I price my accounts like this. job xx-- snow removal-- first 2" or less $300.00-- each additional 1" of snow $30.00 (10% of whatever my base price is) this is per push, so if we 8" of snow in 1 storm and I push it at 3" and again at 5" then there bill looks like this---push #1-- 2"= $300.00, push #2--2"= $300.00 + 3 additional inches of snow at $30.00 each= $90.00-- total bill $690.00 For salting I usually charge by the ton $95- $100, but I only have to pay about $30.00 for it.

7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

In Chicago, I can get salt for 47 a ton and I spread it at 120-150 per Ton.

What type of blade do you have?

8. gcl

gcl Junior Member
    from nj

Thanks a lot for all your answers. I got a Western Ultramount 8 1/2 StraightBlade. Now I assume the prices your giving me are for rocksalt...what if the client requested potassium or magnesium chloride?? Thanks

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

He better have a big checkbook. payup

Regards Mike

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Very true. I charge twice my cost for bulk sand/salt.

11. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I just charge by the hour per pickup. Then per 100 lbs for the sand + time with the sand truck. It seems to work out the best for me because we don't get that much snow usually. I hope that that turns around this winter though.