1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowplowing w/ cabovers yes or no

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fakie99, Jun 17, 2004.

1. fakie99

fakie99 Junior Member

My partner and I are pondering the idea of buying our first cabover (G.M.) and wnat to first get some feed back on how people who have them feel about plowing with them if they have two wheel drive. I need some feed back A.S.A.P. because we need to make a decision soon.

Thanks in advance for responding to this thread

Jim

2. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

I don't know how good they are for plowing since I'm not old enough to drive but i do know that Mitsubishi's Fuso is offered with four wheel drive.

3. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

There is a couple guys around here who use cabovers but only to salt with.Personaly I wouldn't try it,if there only 2wd unless it was dump and loaded down.I drove one before and hated it,love my chevy.
    Good luck at whatever you choose.

4. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

GET A CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the fusco's are worth it and they cost as much as a loaded 350 or 2500hd

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Guys.....Check out the Fuso Rocks thread I pulled up !
    Cabover w/ plow ready to go...................geo

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I drive a Izuzu cab over about the same as a F450 and love it. it is a 109" wheel base turns real tight and fun to drive. It is not a 4x4 and I feel it would not make a good plow unless it was converted to 4x4. but my next plow will be the Fuso. and I have been plowing with F350's for 20+ years.

8. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Around where I live there are five or six companies using cabovers and they all love them and swear by them

9. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I drove a Hino for a friend of mine last summer on the weekends. It was underpowered and not much for comfort, but you could see really well. The Hino was a box truck, but I bet it would make a great dump truck if it was shortened up and had a 3-4 yard body on it.

10. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

A guy I know around here has a few of them, they're 4x4 and he seems to love them...it's all he runs. He said you can put them in places you cant get a pickup. I sat in it and you can actualy see the blade while you're plowing. The price I don't remember but it wasnt bad right around a 3/4 ton p/u. I think it would make a good plow truck...not for me because I decided I'm never buying anything new again because it all gets ruined, but if I was going to use it personnaly and no animals were going to abuse it I'd buy one tomorrow.
    Casey

11. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

The cabover trucks are a very well viable plow truck. Just look at the visability you get. WOW. We have done a couple for one of my customers.

He simply loves them.

Check out some other posts.

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

All the hinos are still rear wheel drive they gotten the concept on 4wd yet right ?

13. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Seems to me they wouldn't be any different then plowing with a regular dumptruck ( both types of trucks being over 10,000 GVCW) except they would have much greater visibility.

14. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Do not do a 2 wheel drive model/cab over for plowing!

For salting.......YES - in a heart beat!

I owned a 98 Isuzu NPR HD (109"wb.) with a 8' Poly Meyer and a 10' Swenson "V" box. Even with the v-box that truck would slip and slide in 3" of snow+. Not to mention I went through 2 rear ends (1 warrantied - other NOT) in first 24,000 miles.

The Mitsu. 4x4 is definitely an option just a little light on HorsePower............... whatever you choose be sure to go Diesel!

ChicagoSnow