1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplowing Question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by premo, Feb 10, 2008.

1. premo

premo Junior Member

The church where I attend is wanting me to give a bid for plowing and salt application

I want to give 2 senerios for them to consider
    1. Just plow when all of my other obligations are complete

2. A 2 inch trigger whenever it snows to plow and salt

Any help on how this can be worded into a proposal would be appreciated...
  2. karol

karol Senior Member

Make sure it's cheap if you want to get it. It's mid season. Who's plowing it now? or is it for next year? I don't know if that's going to fly over well with the church if you're telling them that they will be the last one done. If they will agree on a decent number then maybe you should squeeze them in at the beginning of the route. I would just give them a number first and see what they say.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree
    Give them a number
    and explain, it's the middle fo the season, i can fit you into my schedule, but you'll probably be last this year. next year I can revamp the schedule somewhat and make it fit your schedule better.
    Of course on Sunday's, the church's get done first where the business's can wait. (I mean, that's just obvious)
  4. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

You know, I get called about three times a year for churches. They all want to be first and they all want you to do it for nothing or next to it becuas ethey are a church. I guess they think that because they are a church they deserve better service then the poor guy down the road that has to get to work in the middle of a blizzard. Bid it like you would any retail outlet of the same size. Lets face it churches are just another business today anyway. Plow it in the order that they sign with you or you will end up getting another customer angry. Just my 2 cents
  5. rbs299

rbs299 Junior Member

Bid it like any other job! You could give them a break on the salt but the plow is what you would normally charge. Reason being, your still doing all the normal wear and tear on your plow and truck. Plus, your the one that is out there at 330am and in the cold! Make sure the contract is clear also. Being a member could mean that they will take you for granted and having a good clear contract will help if that arises. Also stress that it is mid Feb and that the season is almost over, its only far that they know they cant be first priority.
  6. hikeradk

hikeradk Senior Member

As a member you should be clear on expectations. I plow for a church I am a member in. Their policy is to go inside first for bids before out. I charge my rate but have given them the option to pay me monthly year round to have a consistent expenditure with pricing negotiated in September. I throw in shoveling the stairs and some other things the last did not. If they have someone staffed all week then thats one consideration if not they give me the schedule via an online calendar and is usually in the evening such as a Bible Study and I am abel to hit before the event at the end of my day. On Sunday when most business contracts I have don't care i hit them first. They give me a steady income year round to make payments on equipment so it works for both of us. If you decide to tithe back a portion thats your right and they need not know and you don't feel like you are being taken advantage of.
  7. karol

karol Senior Member

Say that again?:help: