1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowplowing pricing and my dilemma on a truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Jul 17, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

first off thanks for all the great info.my first question is what is the best way to charge for plowing?most of my work is residential with a few doctors offices.per plow or contract?how do i draw up a contract?also i currently have three trucks-only one has a plow.they are a 95 chevy k2500 w/8ft diamond plow-117,000 miles but in good shape,a 99 chevy z71 ext cab with a 6" lift,35" tires-basically a show vehicle,and a 88 2wd ford f150-a beater for hauling yard debris ,etc.i currently only plow 10 jobs,but want to do more.ive considered putting an easy dumper on the k2500,selling the z71 and the ford and buying either a chevy 2500hd or an f350(both supercab shortbeds)for towing and being my main plow vehicle.any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. szorno

szorno Senior Member

cntryboymc- You have asked a lot of loaded questions.
    First, there are a lot of threads on billing here. Do a search and look thru them. Lots of good info. Try searching on "charges" or "charging" and "billing". IMO- I charge based on truck hour but 2-5 inches is a flat fee with per hour engaging at 6". (in Colorado)

Your Chevy 2500 is a decent plow truck. Take care of it and it will go a good long time yet. Skip the easy-dumper and consider a salt spreader.
    Your lifted truck is cool but not for plowing. You need to decide who will drive the 2nd truck. Your wife? Your best buddy? (I strongly recommend against that) You may do better to encourage your best buddy to get his own truck and form a partnership or have him subcontract to you. Unless the 2nd driver is in your family (spouse or kid) another truck may not be a good idea.
    The newer Fords, Chevys and Dodges can all be great plow trucks. But plow trucks are a lot like drag racing- How fast do you want to go?... How much money do you have? How fancy a truck do you want? How much money do you have? The big thing with a new truck is go for the automatic if you are doing anything except long roads. Easier to use, and faster cycle times.
    Buy a name brand plow from the best dealer in your area.
    I better quit and let some other guys chime in. Good Luck !:waving:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you can get seasonal pricing,then go for it.You get paid even if it doesn't snow.Make sure you have a blizzard,or extreme snowfall clause,as well as a maximum snowfall amount for the season,to cover your butt if it's a heavy year.