1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snowplowing new to me

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jojoremigio, Jan 13, 2008.

1. jojoremigio

jojoremigio Junior Member
    from N.Y.

Just trying to get a handle on my new plow, 8' fisher. Whats the cause of my blade intermittently going to the right. I push joystick to the right...nothing. I push it to the left, it goes left, then I push it to the right, now it goes to the right. Seems to do this regularly. Also, I'll lift blade off of ground from a dead stop. It lifts then it slowly drops. I'll have to push joystick up to top again, then it holds in the full top position. What gives. What is happening. What needs to be adjusted?

Thanks...first storm to hit Sunday night and run through till Monday midday for us N.Y.ers.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Maybe didn't get filled with hydraulic fluid. Second, check the seal on the lift ram. Also, sounds like your controller is worn out (but you said the plow is new) or the connection from truck to plow isn't fully pushed in.

And you say this plow is new? Or is it "new to you"? If new, return to dealer for work under 2-season warranty.
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Something is wrong with your joystick.
  4. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I was having same problems with my fisher. Buddy of mine runs 4 or 5 of them told me to change fluid because it probably has some ice holding some valves open. Changed the fluid and all was good. If this wasn't happening to you during below freezing temps, maybe there is some reason your valves are getting stuck open? Maybe junk in your fluid? If it's not below freezing for you now, go change out your fluid. I didn't purge the whole thing and it still worked but he was telling me to use a space heater to get everything warmed up and to work the plow back and forth by hand to get it all out. I guess that little gray breather will actually suck in fine snow dust and cause problems. Now on the occasion that I have a hiccup, I go out there and check and sure enough I have snow packed around the tank. This is enough to cause the fluid to get cold enough to cause problems for me. I just clean it off and it's fine. I probably wouldn't even have any kind of hiccups if I just purged it all out like he said. But it's only occasionally so I don't care. I've also heard of problems with the pick up in the tank.
  5. jojoremigio

jojoremigio Junior Member
    from N.Y.

bleeding old fluid

If I may ask this silly question. How do I go about doing this? I see the fill hole and I have new fluid in a sealed container. Its not cold enough right now to freeze. About 40. Pending heavy snow tonight and into tomorrow.

another thing....truck sat for a couple of hours. I went to go get it set for tomorrow A.M. The blade would not lift. I had to repeat the joystick motion several times. Is the joystick just sticking because of lack of use? Truck has low miles and has been sitting for long periods of time. Are there contacts in the joystick housing that have to be cleared out? These issues are all intermittent. Is it a combination of the fluid being old and having moisture need to bleed out and or the joystick control unit. When it works, it works well. Just not like clock work.

Thanks for you help.
  6. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

It would probably be a good idea to start off by changing the fluid anyways. There is a plug on the bottom, it takes an allen wrench. I just changed mine again for the hell of it today, this time I did the whole thing. I don't know if this is the right way, but this is how I did it.

1.) Lowered plow frame down on floor jack and block of wood.
    2.) Pulled drain plug. I forgot that last time I decided I wood remove the fill plug first, because there is pressure in there.
    3.) Removed fill plug to vent it and drain better, but I would recommend swapping steps 2 and 3.
    4.) Removed hose for right side piston and aimed into drain bucket and had my brother push plow in.
    5.) Reconnected right side hose and disconnected left side hose. Had brother push plow in other direction.
    6.) Lowered plow with jack, and jacked it up until it was just off the ground.
    7.) Filled fluid, ran plow left and right several times to get air out.
    8.) Refilled fluid again.
    9.) Cycled plow several more times left and right, then lifted and dropped it several times.
    10.) Pulled down driveway so that when I dropped it and lifted it an inch off the ground so that back of left and right pistons (where the hose connects) was much higher than the rest and ran it left and right several more times. It sounded like it ran all the air out after that.

Now, if you can't even here the motor run though, it may be a problem with the controller. I'd still change the fluid though.