1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplowing in missouri, can I make money?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tcdodge5000, Oct 10, 2009.

1. tcdodge5000

tcdodge5000 Junior Member

I wanted to ask if anybody lives in missouri and makes money plowing snow, also I would like to compare it with other cities like chicago, new york, and florida. I am thinking about buying a truck and fitting it with a plow. But I would like to get an idea on good the money is to plow snow in missouri as compared to nebraska, or areas where snowfall is regular and starts early.
  2. eaglegrounds

eaglegrounds Member

Well not to be a jerk and burst your bubble, but...... florida is not a city, its a state, and it snows very very rarely there so it is not a good gauge on being profitable in snow removal.

Just my 2 cents.
  3. U1200

U1200 Member

I live in missouri (other side) and make a bit plowing. I do it more for fun than pure profit however.

I'll try and describe how it works from my perspective. The only reason a lot of the guys I know mess with plowing is because it gets them properties that they can also salt. around here salting is where the money is made because of the greater occurance of sleet and freezing rain compared to snow. We also will get above freezing daytime temps, melt the snow you pushed the day before and run down the lot. Now you've got ice on the lot that night so salt guys get to salt it again. Then you have pre treats where they salt a lot before the freezing rain/snow/sleet hits. Bottom line is that if you salt you will work probably 4 times more than if you just plow.

If you can put together a plow/salt truck on the cheap I think you can make money at it.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If it snows you can make money.
    If you can predict the weather correctly you can make even more money....lol
  5. orange toys

orange toys Member

Im trying the same thing but near springfield

YPLLLC Senior Member

Im in St. Louis, and we plow mainly to just do something in the winter. It is good money when it snows. If you do get a plow together, let me know I may have some sub work for you if you want.
  7. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

+1 I lived in North FL for 9 years and I didn't see snow once.
  8. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

there is plowing to be done but it can be rare. We have some shtty winters and have sat in the truck for 2 days straight but then I spent last winter mainly slinging salt. I do commercial only and they are all about no ice so I make money but it took years to weed out the crappy drives and steep drived apartments where I had to use a 4 wheeler and gator. We had one good storm last year. The problem with around here is there is a bunch of guys with shovels and snow blowers and a little old plow truck and they bid low and every body takes them. they are ok until there is more than 3 inches then cant get anything done and my phone rings off the hook and I just laugh. People around here do not worry about snow until it gets here usually and that makes it hard to make an honest buck. remember we get alot of icy snow and this is a pain to move and so try not to overbook yourself. It is better to do what you can and keep those customers happy and not try and do everything and end up with noone happy. I just got a call for a kmart in ellisville I dont want I will give them your number if you want. I would not take it but it is some peoples bag. I am a church and bank kind of guy and a few neighborhoods out here in wildwood.
  9. naturalgreen

hows business yp I see your trucks around.
  10. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Business, is doing good this year, we currently have 3 trucks with 2 more on order from the factory. Just working on booking up snow for the last month and a half. Rain has been killing us. How about you? Where do you do most of your work? do you ever do sub contracting for snow?
  11. naturalgreen

I do wildwood T&C between there mainly for mowing but all over for fertilizer. I am organic only and business is good. except all the new snow calls I have this year are usm and other companies with some crappy set prices. I have another company that has me plow for them all the time when he overbooks. I stay low in my customers have real good ones so I stroke them.