1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplowing 101

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaveO, Dec 9, 2001.

1. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

I learned another NEW thing about snowplowing today. Every event I try to learn something, improve somewhere/somehow. Don't plow certain locations with your rear slider open!!

We got 2-3 inches of WET snow/slush. I was done with my route fairly quick, and headed home by 7:30am. Recieved a call from a contractor friend, said he was in deep xhit, many of his subs didn't show, weren't ready for this storm. Asked for help, he had helped me out before so I asked what he needed done.

I took two low income housing projects, one in a not so nice area. While plowing I noticed a group of early teens eyeing me, then dissappeared. About 15 minutes later, I was bombarded with snowballs, one came right in the back window and hit the dash, snow everywhere. Closed the slider and kept plowing. Pulled up to the kids later, they were sliding down a hill. They asked me if I could push a pile of snow up to the hill, so they could make a jump. I said no prob, but no more snowballs thru the windows, they laughed, but agreed. Had no more problems.

Anybody ever have similiar problems?

2. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I guess your not as short temperd as I am! I would have plowed the kids into the nearest building!
  3. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I have not had any problems like.

One thing I do have a bad habit doing is also leaving the rear window opened. Here in Mi most of our snow is fluff. When backing up sometimes the back blade will hit a drift or just my windrow if i get over into the unplowed section and send a blast of snow at me.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

One of my drivers chased kids on foot into the woods last year, and then dragged them to their parents.
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

A hazard of the biz I guess. When my dad used to subcontract plow for local municipalities many years ago his big worry was kids hanging on the back of the truck and using it as a tow motor, he was always fearful of some poor kid falling beneath the wheels.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I had some kids build a snowman with rocks in it in the driveay last year. Luckily I was not driving fast as I was a little suspisious.