1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplower wanted signs on side of road

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mdirrigation, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Did you know hat the property management companies are getting smarter ? They are not getting bids for snowplowing , rather they are starting snowplowing companies and subbing out the work. This gives them total control. They have a good angle , grab all the single truck plow operators , pay them half the rate a company would charge . require a salt spreader , stock salt on the job. They are saving 25 to 50 per cent. They find their contractors at the easiest place , convenience stores , I was approached in early September. The guy was just waiting for any truck with a plow frame on the truck to show up. I listened to his sales pitch , when he told me they paid the going rate I said great , then I asked him what his going rate was? His reply was $45.00 per hour for a plow truck and $ 15.00 for shoveling . I tried not to laugh too hard . I still took his card and also figured out which car was his and ran the tag number , It was registered to a property management company.

Remember if they cant find subs they will have to hire a contractor. By working for these "companies" you will be cutting your own throat the more subs they get the more work they can do , which is less work for the independant contractor.
  2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I am not for hire I just do my drive and a few friends but $45.00 an hour? Would someone really go for that? I might consider it for twice that if they provided the insurance. I cannot imagine how you would ever come out on a $35,000 truck and a $4,000 plow making $45.00 an hour????? I think I am figuring out what you guys refer too as a low-baller.
  3. Here in the Cleveland area $40.00 to $45.00 is the going rate for sub's.
    There are some companies that actually pay less than that, and they have no problem finding the drivers.

Steve :drinkup:
  4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Understand, they are not attracting th e guy with the 35,000.00 truck and the 4,000.00 blade. They will find the guy with the 2000.00 beater and a piece of steel welded to the bumper that resembles a plow. The property manager / plowing company needs to hire 10 guys like that because over 1/2 of them wil break down every hour.

With my subs, if you are driving your own PROFESSIONAL looking dependable vehicle, I will hire you and pay a percentage of the net income. This usually averages 50% to 60%. What is left for me goes to insurance, advertising, overhead, and profits. Simple as that. Half the time, I even buy breakfast in the morning for everyone.
  5. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

Re: Crumm

whats for breakfast... ?

6. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Re: Crumm

Are you talking about my truck;) . Don't forget I am not for hire I have a full time job.
  7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

O.K., o.k., i recind the "2,000.00 beater" comment :rolleyes: . Some of the best trucks I have seen plowing are bought for as little as that.

As for breakfast, vector... The really cool thing about plowing greasy spoons, if you go in for breakfast as soon as you are done plowing them out they usually give you breakfast on the house. I plow a chain of 'Round the Clock' restaurants. I hit one at 11:0 or midnight and get dinner. Then, around 5:00 or 6;00 a.m. I do another and get breakfast. Granted, I cut them a deal because I eat there a lot. On the same subject, I plow a local bar called Soprano's. I plow them out for free and wifey and friends drink all year long for nada. Great deal since she can really hold her booze:drinkup:
  8. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Chris..its 4am,,,your making me hungry...Im going to go plow dennys for the heck of it :angel: Like I said, Im hungry :)