1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snowplower got $800.00 Fine?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjmstaff, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

My wife just called and told me that a guy got a $800 fine for plowing the snow from his driveway and packing it across the street. Does anyone know anything about this? They said it was a Michigan Law that you can't do that.

2. NHSnow

NHSnow Junior Member

Every state is different

By NH law (RSA) plowing across a road is legal as long as it is cleaned up. Some municipalities might have local laws banning this. Michigan (or the local municipality) might indeed have a law banning this. Call your local police department for a difinitive answer.

3. mickman

mickman Senior Member

the laws are probably mostly the same for evey state. in Md., you are not to push any snow into street from driveways, any entrances, etc.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A lot a lot of areas have laws like that. As far as $800 fine that seems real high. I have heard of $75 fines around here. I see morons push snow out into the street all the time. If I have to do it I then put it to the curb,I never push across the street. How would theses morons like their wife to come along and ram the $25,000 minivan into the snow pile/trailer in the street?

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It's illegal in Iowa and Illinois also.

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Mike
    A about 6 years ago when I lived in Clarkston Mi I was snow blowing my sidewalk and there was no where else for the snow to go but in the street because of a high retaining wall next to the sidewalk.
    A cop came by and saw me blowing snow into the street and said if he saw me doing it again he would give me a ticket. So I do not know the exact law but I believe it is illegal in Michigan to plow snow into the street. Now with that said,is it ok to push it across the street? If I do I make sure I clean it up real good and don't leave any trails.

Regards Mike

7. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

A guy in Southwick Mass was fined $100 for pushing into the street. In his case though, he was actually snowblowing it into the street. People figure that the town truck wont eeven notice the extra on the next pass.

I was backdragging into the st yesterday myself---just past the entrance to the driveway- nowhere else to push.
    One of the town officials came by abd gave me the hairy eyeball, but didn't stop. I cleaned up real quick and got outa dodge.

This drve in particular is about 25 ft long right straight to the garage door, bordered on both sides by a 8 ft high railroad tie wall. Back dragging into the rd is the only answer. With the geometry, even a blower won't work.

8. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I got stopped Sat morning here in SE WI. I do know it's illegal but am very good about cleaning up (it's my house) and put it mid block on the median island of our 4+ lane divided busy street. Cop told me he would write me up for littering. I've been doing driveways on this street for 30 years and it was a two lane cowpath and this the first time I've even seen an officer look at me. I was a little gun shy the rest of the day as I have a couple more I push across the pavement into the opposite ditch.

9. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Across the street

Absolutely! I lived in Bay City (moving back soon) and had Bay County sheriff knock on my door to go straighten (push into a ditch) out snow I had pushed across the street. Said it was a "safety hazard". NO PLOWING INTO STREET IN MICHIGAN!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  10. mickman

mickman Senior Member

at some places, we have no choice. If I do, I slowly raise up blade as I drive across so as not to dig up snow on street [ keeping it level w/ snow pack ]
    then I neaten it all up so that you can't tell. Now, I see morons who will screw up the intersection and pile snow up & over walks. They deserve a ticket!

11. Jone43

Jone43 Member

Must have been a real slow day in Mayberry! Ol' Sherriff trying to drum up some work. Pathetic. Go out and do something, anything besides break a guys chops trying to make a living. I work with guys like this and they are a joke. Most of them are the ones that got the crap beat out of them all through school now they have somehting to prove.

12. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

about time....not to piss any one off but 98% of the people that do it make a mess or don't push it off the road more than 2 ft....

I know down here in the SW part of Mi, Van buren county to be exact, they can bust you. If some one calls the road comm and complains the saftey director comes out and can ticket you but almost no one complains except me. I usually will stop and someones house or leave a typed note informing them of the issue. Do it again and i contact the road comm or state police. The storm we just had saturday, more than half the people didn't even push it off the road, or the one guy down the road from me pushes it into the road and tries to smooth it off and leave it there.

i can't seem to find the exact law on the website, but i would say it applies to the whole state....

13. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Town laws are different. Around here on the seacoast its illegal. Not sure what the fine is though.

14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i heard on the local news about a snowplower fined for plowing his neighbors drive out and pushing across the street. it may be the same person.

15. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

It's illegal in vermont(at least in the towns closest to me) I'm not sure if it's state wide but most towns have some sort of ordinance pertaining to it.It's not very strictly enforced though.

16. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I have to say I don't push the snow in the street but I do put it across the street. I then push it up on my neighbors lawn. I don't feel bad because I then do the same thing for him and put it up my my own. I never leave snow in the street but after the report I started to think if I could get a fine.

17. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Was it in Flint?? If so it doesn't surprise me. On the same corner the guy got a ticket for plowing the snow there was a crack dealer selling crack that was ignored :angry: Its just easier to pick on the working man :nod:

18. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I know in my town they have said they are busting down on this als I did see in the next towns local paper there is a $100 fine for doing this.

There is one street I plow a house on and you can tell who plows like 5 houses on this street as they are all plowed accross the street and left in a big mess :realmad:

Making us looking bad

19. I never push across the street, I have never seen a need to do it. ALWAYS on the entrances. :waving:

20. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Never across the street

I never need to plow across the street either. I will however clean up the street after the plow has come by (Mailbox and street parking.) I only do this at my house though. I don't do any residentials.

Just leave the snow piled at the entrance and it keeps out unwanted visitors. Unless of course, the entrance needs to be clear.

Jeff